Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI Report Builder - Error message when trying to Connect to Analysis Services

Hi,

I'm currently trying to build a paginated report using an analysis services model as a data source.

When I create the Data Sources connection there isn't any errors thrown. When I go to create a data set and attempt to open the query design I'm faced with the following error:

"Unable to obtain authentication token using the credentials provided. If your Active Directory tenant administrator has configured Multi-Factor Authentication or if your account is a Microsoft Account, please remove the user name and password from the connection string, and then retry. You should then be prompted to enter your credentials."

Has anyone experience a similar issue?

Hi,

Have you tried to follow the suggestions in the error message to remove the user name and password from the connection string, and then retry.

Whether there is the detailed error message in refresh history or gateway settings when refresh failed, you can click 'Show details' in these panes to find it.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi,

Have you tried to follow the suggestions in the error message to remove the user name and password from the connection string, and then retry.

Whether there is the detailed error message in refresh history or gateway settings when refresh failed, you can click 'Show details' in these panes to find it.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

dhronw
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-robertq-msft,

I've got the same problem with connecting to Analysis Services from Power BI Report Builder. The connection string does not contain any username or password.

The connection string looks like this: 

Data Source=asazure://westeurope.asazure.windows.net/<MyResourceName>;Initial Catalog=<MyModelName>

The error I get is:

The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.
----------------------------
AADSTS50076: Due to a configuration change made by your administrator, or because you moved to a new location, you must use multi-factor authentication to access
----------------------------
Unable to obtain authentication token using the credentials provided. If your Active Directory tenant administrator has configured Multi-Factor Authentication or if your account is a Microsoft Account, please remove the user name and password from the connection string, and then retry. You should then be prompted to enter your credentials.

Thanks in advance for your help

dhronw
Regular Visitor

@v-cazheng-msft tagging you for visibility, sorry if this isn't your area of expertise. I had some back and forth with Robert on another issue, where he mentioned he moved to the Power BI Phone Team.