Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI Free/Pro accounts issue

We have an issue on our company regarding the update from PowerBI trial to PowerBi Pro.

Two of our users log into PowerBI and still appear as "Free User" on the dashboard.

However, on the Microsoft Account page of that users they appear as "Pro User".

So far, we tried this with no results:

- Deleting the cookies
- Forcing the account to work only with Pro account (the rest of the users work with both Free and Pro options ticked in the license administration panel without an issue. They don't)

- Asking them to use another browser

- Reviewing the access permits to specific files (we work through Sharepoint)

Any clues on that? It's a pretty urgent issue for us right now.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@EECC_IT ,

I'm afraid this issue couldn't be reproduced on my side. Please also check the license status in O365 as below:

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

EECC_IT

@v-yuta-msft 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, we checked this out as well:

EECC_IT_0-1599823170400.png

GeffMburu
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar issue:

I have two (2) PowerBI licenses under my email address, Free PowerBI license that I used to create my account for PowerBI and a second PowerBI Pro license bought by the company I work for and assigned to me under the same email address as the one I used to creaate a free powerbi account: 

Whenever I login to powerbi online services I keep getting the message "Upgrade to Power BI Pro" , yet I have a pro license.
How do I make the pro license become active on my powerbi login account?

I am not able to contact microsoft directly because one can only create a ticket if they are a Power BI Pro user, which I should be but the power bi online service does not seem to recognize that I have a Pro License

kaushalprashant
Regular Visitor

@GeffMburu We are facing this issue since 08/12/2020; and case opened with MS Support has confirmed that this is known issue in sync up between PBI and Office 365 - though there is no resolution in sight. The last note was on 08/27 "For the first issue, the pro guest user access to your shared report in your domain, the Power BI is asking for the guest user to upgrade to pro or pro trial, without syncing the license from his/ her tenant. This is a known issue, and the internal team is working on this." But there is no progress as now they are claiming it is specific to few tenants only and not reproducible at their end.

We tried with secured page publish to web, but it has its limitations of no side filters, no download flexibility and data refresh delay - besides this, a grey bar shows on bottom of the page if resolution is low - any thoughts on grey bar are welcome, while not digressing from main issue.

I came across another discussion chain on this: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/External-Users-unable-to-access-reports-that-are-shared-with...

GeffMburu
Frequent Visitor

@kaushalprashant  Thanks for the info, it is helpful.

Hopefully there will be a solution to this.

GeffMburu
Frequent Visitor

I got support from Microsoft and we able to resolve the issue.

My problem was inability to use Power BI Pro license despiting having bought the License.

The resolution was to deactiavate both Licenses that I had been assigned by my Office 365  Portal Admin  and then reactivate the Power BI Pro License. (I had been assigned a Pro License and a Free License)

Once the Pro Licensse was re-activated the Power BI Online service was able to recognize it and the issue was resolved

kaushalprashant
Regular Visitor

Hello all, its been over 6 months, seems the issue has resurfaced - new users when being added to tenant have started reporting the issue; and it appears to be close match to this - if any suggestions or guidance is available, it will be helpful.