Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI Desktop hangs when adding a calculated measure with a name that already exists

When adding a calculated measure with the same name as an already existing calculated measure, the following message is returned:
Error PowerBI.png
PowerBI Desktop hangs and the user is no longer able to do something with the PowerBI file. The user has to force a shutdown of the PBIX file, loosing unsaved work.

Comments
triseid
Frequent Visitor

Bump. Also having this issue. 

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@mboone 

I tried the latest version to create a report and can successfully close the pop-up window.

mboone
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-chuncz-msft , I installed the latest version but no succes, I still cannot close the pop-up window.

triseid
Frequent Visitor

@v-chuncz-msft thank you for the reply and advice. The issue still exists on the latest PowerBI version. To add more detail, the issue is only occuring for specific data sources. When I connect to an Analysis Services data source, the issue occurs. However, if I connect to an Excel file, there is no issue. 

It is particuarly annoying because you lose all unsaved work if you accidentily name a measure by an existing name. 

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@mboone 

You may just press Enter key while focusing on "Working on it".

mboone
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-chuncz-msft, that works indeed, thanks a lot for the hint!

triseid
Frequent Visitor

Thank you @v-chuncz-msft ! This fixed the issue. 

EC1979
Frequent Visitor

I have same issue.   PowerBI connection to SQL Analysis Services database in Live mode.   DBA enhanced SSAS cube, which contains Measure Name that conflicts with existing local DAX Measure.   The error signs prompts me to correct by choosing different name for local measure.   I change name, PBI desktop hangs on "Working On It".   Pressing enter on the pop up status message freezes PBI Desktop.   Please advise!

Thackeb
Advocate I

Enter works!!!  Life saver! 

J_Swetik
Regular Visitor

Hello everyone,

I also have this issue, but it also hangs when I try to add any measure, also with a new name.

Enter worked that the "Working on it" disappears, but I still can't work in my file. I updated to the latest version (August 2021) but I still have the problem, that I can't add any calculated measures.

Is there any new information about this problem?