Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

PowerBI Desktop Publish Hangs

The previous version and the new October version of PowerBI desktop hangs when publishing reports to the Power BI portal. The report gets published sucessfully but the "Publishing to Power BI" dialog never finishes. Clicking on cancel or close on the dialog does nothing. The only way to get out of PowerBI desktop is to use task manger and kill the PowerBI process.

It is like PowerBI desktop gets stuck and the portal doesn't tell it the report and dataset is done publishing.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft is actively working the problem with us, hopefully we can get it resolved soon. In the mean time I think we're going to have to roll back to the April release.

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

Had a two hour webex with Microsoft last night, and may have discovered the underlying issue - with a potential work around. At least on my computer, this worked:

1. Close out of Power BI

2. delete or rename the file C:\Users\<<Username>>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\user.zip (it gets recreated on PBI startup)

3. Restart Power BI and test publishing

Interested to hear if this helps other folks. We'll be testing throughout multiple users today on our end, I'll post an update if this works as well for others as it is for me.

Thanks,

Scott

TDR
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous

Thanks, that did the trick!

Renamed my user.zip to user_.zip, so on startup user.zip is recreated.

And publishing works again!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome TDR - thanks for confirming!

One note - it appears that the user.zip is going to need to be deleted more than just once. I haven't quite nailed down what causes it to need deleting, but when I came in again this morning it was hanging again (even with the user.zip file created the previous afternoon). Hopefully MS can get this resolved quickly.

Thx,

Scott

Anonymous
Not applicable

My dashboards do not hang any longer and successfully publish.  I did do the delete user_.zip trick but also updated to the June update so not sure which did it.  Thanks everyone.

tuannie
Employee

Hi guys, I understand that Scott needed to delete the user.zip file more than once to make publishing work. Does anybody have to delete the user.zip file multiple times as well?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had to delete the user.zip file multiple times. I'm trying to track down exactly what forces it to go "stale"...it might be just logging out and logging back in to the network, but not sure. If you discover the answer, please let us know and I'll pass on to the MS tech I'm working with.

Thanks!

Scott

mike_honey
Memorable Member

Deleting the user.zip is working for me too.  Thanks so much @Anonymous for sharing this workaround.  Hope it gets fixed next release.

pade
Advocate III

The path

C:\Users\<<Username>>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop

doesn't exxist for me. As I'm using the Windows Store version, the path might be different?

tuannie
Employee

For Windows Store version, the path is 

c:\Users\{UserName}\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App