Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI Desktop Crashes

Hi,

I am importing data from an excel sheet (~5 tables) into Power BI desktop, which works fine, I then go to the DATA screen (button on the left) to change the data type to currency on many of the columns.  This starts off working no problem, but after ~5 columns, the menu starts to disappear (first the currency button, then the rest) and then Power BI desktop crashes and shuts down.

Image of Currency button disappearing:

PBI_Error.png

Is this a known issue, or am I doing something wrong..?

Thanks

Gareth 

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

A thought, because technically "data blending" for Power BI is supposed to occur within the Query Editor, try converting your columns to a "Fixed decimal number" and see if that allows you to make the adjustments without crashing.

Alternatively, if the change to "Fixed decimal number" doesn't automatically convert to currency, you can always convert the values using the header-based selection. To do this, select the green box and either do a quick select to "$ Fixed decimal number" or select "Using Locale..." allows for you to pull in the currency of a particular region.

Convert.png

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Gevans64

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 34680088
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Gevans64

The fix shall be available in the May 2017 version of Power BI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Orlando
Regular Visitor

Good Morning:

I'm having a similar problem.

I have a connection from sharepoint where the column is a text field, then I try to change it Whole Number or Decimal number, and Powerbi sends me an error that it can convert automatically to whole number.

I did it in other similar column and it work, then in the second column it did not.

Thanks,

Orlando

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered