Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI Desktop Crashes - Field Properties - Version: 2.64.5285.741 64-bit (November 2018)

I have experienced this across multipl projects and found its pretty easy to recreate.

Version: 2.64.5285.741 64-bit (November 2018)

- Create a new project

- Create a new "Enter data" query

- Enter one field "test" in a the default column - save the query

- Hide the Visualisations panel

- Save the Project as "Test1"

- Select View - and activate the "Field Properties" tab

- Select "Table1" from the Fields panel

- Enter in enough data in the Field Properties window at the table level so the vertical scroill bar becomes visible.

- Leave focus in the Field Properties window and hit the save Button in the Project.

PowerBi Desktop crashes everytime for me

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @shaunwilks,

Do you mean the last second step "Enter in enough data in the Field Properties window at the table level so the vertical scroill bar becomes visible." is entering enough words in Description window? 

q4.PNG

Based on my test, the issue can't be reproduced in Power BI desktop 2.65.5313.841 64-bit (December 2018). Please update your Power BI desktop to this latest version then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

shaunwilks
Helper V

Thats what I mean yes.

I have a number of staff who are able to replicate in the December version.

Another key is to ensure that the focus is in the Description field when you click the save button on the toolbar to save the project.

I cant see the cursor in the example you attach above suggesting its not in focus when save is clicked. 

try clicking back in there - put a space at the end and type a couple of words seperated by spaces.

While the cursor remains in the description window and at the bottom click the save button on the toolbar

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @shaunwilks

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 98539556. Will update here once I get information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

shaunwilks
Helper V
This afternoon my Desktop session again crashed. This time it left my project with corruption and unable to be re-opened. There was nothing to recover in the AutoRecover folder. What can Microsoft do for me to correct the corruption in my project and avoid me losing hours /days of corruption.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @shaunwilks,

I got information below: 

You can set Description in the new Modelling View in Desktop which is in preview release. We plan to GA it in March and deprecate the old property pane in Report View. We'll not fix this issue as we are planning to deprecate this pane soon.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu