Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PowerBI Desktop Crashes December 2017 Update

I seem to be having issues with the recent Power BI update (December 2017), whereby when invlaid relationships are trying to be established between two tables Power BI exits with no warning.

Comments
alexei7
Continued Contributor

I have also just had this issue - Power BI just crashed in the middle of work when i was trying to join tables - this is a big problem and I've had to roll back to the November version to prevent losing work in the future.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mashru01@alexei7,

The same issue has been reported internally: CRI 54333777.  

The fix will be released on January. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

mike_honey
Memorable Member

This is frustrating, but rather than rollback, an easy workaround would be to hit Save before attempting to create a relationship.  

ptacquet
Frequent Visitor

You should remove this non stable version from the download page, or communicate about this important bug...

mike_honey
Memorable Member

An updated December build of PBI Desktop is available from the usual download page - dated 19 Dec.  It doesnt appear to resolve this issue.

mike_honey
Memorable Member

Another workaround is to use the Manage Relationships dialog, where attempts to create an invalid relationship are caught safely with messages.

mashru01
Regular Visitor

Hi @mike_honey,

I've actually tried this method too, but opening the manage relationshops dialog also seems to initiate a crash.

I've revereted back to November for now anyway.

Thanks

Anand

mahawkins3
Helper I

How does one roll back to November?

mashru01
Regular Visitor

@mahawkins3 You would need to unistall the previous version and then reinstall November if you have it save in your downloads. I couldnt find a version on Microsofts site anywhere.