Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power Query won't show any data

I got the error below on one of my reports asking to upgrade to use enhanced metadata but for some reason than failed every time.

upgrade report.JPG

I had to copy all queries to a fresh file and re-build the data model & visuals. Next time I try to open the file data won't show at all in Power Query. Sometimes I get the message below, most times I get nothing but an infinite loading screen. 

Power Query not showing data preview.JPG

I've disabled all preview features; tried with turning on/off background data load and parallel loading of tables; am running the latest version 2.87.762.0 64-bit (November 2020). The queries will load if I refresh outside Power Query but previews will not show inside Power Query.

One of my coleagues gets the same problem, another colleage can in fact see data but when he tries to save the file he gets an error. I have the error logs if that helps.

Any workaroudns would be appreciated, I'm out of options if even migrating to a new file won't work! Thanks.

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @Anonymous 

There are several similar problems about "use enhanced metadata", they have a variety of reasons in it.

for this problem, I would suggest create a support ticket to get help from power bi support team, share the error logs with them and they will give you accurate and quick help.

submit a support ticketsubmit a support ticket

Regards,

Lin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-lili6-msft, done that now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got to the bottom of this with the Microsoft support team!

If anyone else is facing the same issue, turns out that simply disabling the background data refresh isn't enough (despite the "Evalation canceled" messages that start to pop-up, which seem to indicate the option is already disabled).

You'll need to disable the option, save and closed the file and open it up again. Then data should start loading instantly! I've told the team that a warning indicating PBI needs to be restarted would be really useful (same when preview features are enabled for the first time).

Another workaround mentioned (which I didn't need) was to rename the file and try all above.