Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power Query Text.PositionOf incorrectly translated into Native Query while connected to an MS SQL DB

Hi,

As per official documentation Text.PositionOf - PowerQuery M | Microsoft Docs, 

Text.PositionOf(text as text, substring as text, optional occurrence as nullable number, optional comparer as nullable function) as any

This function returns the position of the specified occurrence of a substring found in text.  Adding this as a new column via

Text.PositionOf([text], ".")

to find a position of a dot in the column "text", in turn, converts this function into the following expression in Native Query: 

charindex([_].[text], '.') - 1 as [Custom]

However, as per official SQL documentation CHARINDEX (Transact-SQL) - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs,

CHARINDEX ( expressionToFind , expressionToSearch [ , start_location ] )   

the substring should come first, so the correct expression in Native Query would be:

charindex('.', [_].[text]) - 1 as [Custom]

As a result, the current implementation always returns -1 suggesting that the substring cannot be found. I've also found that switching substring and text in the Power Query function returns the desired result, but in such a case the position of substring and text is not correct as per official documentation. 

Could you please check and correct if necessary?

Regards,

Karim 

Hi @kabdrx 

May I know how you create your column? I’ve tested according to the description, but it works well and there will be no Native Query for custom column.

vcazhengmsft_0-1643362627720.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @kabdrx 

May I know how you create your column? I’ve tested according to the description, but it works well and there will be no Native Query for custom column.

vcazhengmsft_0-1643362627720.png

Best Regards,

kabdrx
Advocate I

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

Are you connected to an MS SQL instance? I'm in import mode, you can see the steps below:

kabdrx_0-1643373369748.png

kabdrx_1-1643373419888.png

And the result of the function:

kabdrx_0-1643373806981.png

I'm using the latest version of PBI Desktop. 

Regards,

Karim

kabdrx
Advocate I

Figured I should post the "fix" too:

kabdrx_4-1643373743656.png

kabdrx_2-1643373686401.png

And the result:

kabdrx_3-1643373724699.png

Regards,

Karim

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @kabdrx 

Thanks for your reply! I basically understand this issue. May I know whether you are using the latest version of Power BI Desktop? You can check your desktop version by Help>About>Version. If you create a new report to test on this M function, will you get same issue?

vcazhengmsft_0-1643708801136.png

Best Regards,

kabdrx
Advocate I

Hi @v-cazheng-msft,

Sorry for the delay. This is the version that I have:

kabdrx_1-1643985774890.png

And yes, I've tested with a new report, and it has the same "translation" into Native Query. 

Regards,

Karim

kabdrx
Advocate I

Hello @v-cazheng-msft,

Do you have any updates on this?

Thanks

Karim