Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power Bi update Power BI Desktop refresh error

Hi,

I have been facing a problem with data refreshes which started after PBI desktop was updated to the September version. I have a Pbix file that connects to an Excel file located in a Sharepoint Site. Up until now, I had no problems updating the file whenever the source Excel file was updated

However, ever since the most recent release, when I attempt to update  the PBIX file, I get an eror saying "Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An unexpected error occurred (file 'xlattrmap.cpp', line 396, function 'XLColInfoMapper::AddToAttrMapper')" . I have no idea what this means. I didn't have this problem previously. Anybody else facing a similar problem?

Thank you

PK

Comments
mda
Advocate I
Advocate I

I have an identical error, but not on refresh but after open report developed in the previous version of Desktop.

The error is reported for Clustered column chart, but when I switch it to other chart type keeps showing.

After first open, and again after changing chart to the Stacked column chart SQLDUMP.exe program is opened in command line window, and is closed after a while.
The problem is present for any visualization even for the table.

The problem disappears when I remove Ranking measure.

This measure is defined as:

Ranking =
IF (
    ISBLANK ( [Measure Value] );
    BLANK ();
    RANKX (
        FILTER ( ALLSELECTED ( Dimension[Level] ); NOT ( ISBLANK ( [Measure Value] ) ) );
        [Measure Value];
        ;
        DESC;
        SKIP
    )
)

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

In Power BI desktop September version, please check if you are able to get data from the SharePoint Excel successfully. If it is, please check if you use DAX SelectedValue function in the model. Please try to remove it then refresh again. 

@mda Does the issue happen to one specific report or all reports? Woud you please share issued pbix files with us? If it contains sensitive data, please upload it to your OneDrive and send the link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

dcresp
Advocate IV

I have been getting the same error as @mda in multiple visuals. This has happened since the September version of PBI Desktop came out. The reports that particuarly effected seem to be ones with row level security in them. @v-qiuyu-msft I will send you the PBI file which is confidential. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mda@dcresp

I found the same issue already reported internally: CRI 84129905. The issue occurs if visuals contain RANKX function. A new Desktop build containing the hotfix will be released today or tomorrow. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

dcresp
Advocate IV

Thank you for the update. The issue stopped showing up this morning. 

Regards

David

rdomingo16
Frequent Visitor

Hi Guys,

I am having the same problem also when showing the data in a table. I already downloaded and installed the hotfix but the error still occured. We are using the below formula in AAS (Azure Analysis Service).

MTD Actuals:= IF (SELECTEDVALUE ( 'dim DimGLAccount'[NormalBalance]) = "Credit", CALCULATE (

[MTDActuals_m] *-1, FILTER(

ALLSELECTED( 'dim DimAccountTree' ),

PATHCONTAINS ( 'dim DimAccountTree'[Path2],   SELECTEDVALUE ( 'dim DimAccountTree'[AccountTreeNode] ) ))

), CALCULATE (

[MTDActuals_m], FILTER(

ALLSELECTED( 'dim DimAccountTree' ),

PATHCONTAINS ( 'dim DimAccountTree'[Path2],   SELECTEDVALUE ( 'dim DimAccountTree'[AccountTreeNode] ) ))

))

PBI Issue on September Updates.PNG

Thanks,

Rudy

michael_lagahit
Regular Visitor

Hi Guys

I'm also getting the same issue; I've already installed the lates PBI version. can anyone help please. 😞

Error Message:
An unexpected error occurred (file 'xlattrmap.cpp', line 396, function 'XLColInfoMapper::AddToAttrMapper').

Technical Details:
RootActivityId: 7c609b2e-6992-4f42-a869-32d5c9e2f264
Date (UTC): 9/26/2018 11:13:21 AM

Thank you so much

Michael

PBI Error.PNG

michael_lagahit
Regular Visitor

Seems that this isn't just an issue with Power BI but also with AAS

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/b588662e-6752-453c-81c0-34f17920372a/recently-g...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm getting this issue as well. Workaround is

IF(NOT HASONEVALUE(Table[Column]),BLANK(),VALUES(Table[Column]))

but that's obviously not ideal compared to just SELECTEDVALUE(Table[Column]).

Any ETA on this being fixed?