Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power Bi reports that use DirectQuery for PBI failing to export to PDF/PPTX using Power Automate

We have had a series of executive reports that are being delivered daily using power automator that have suddenly strated failing in the last 5-6 days.  These reports have been running since late 2021 and there were no changes on our behalf.

It appears the steps to recreating this are as follows:

* Create a Power BI report, that uses directquery for power bi to use another report as a data service.

* Publish this report (we are using a Preimium per capacity server)

* Create a power automate job that uses "export to file" to export this report to a PPTX or PDF.

* The job fails after multiple retries.

The Power Automator job reports the Power BI failure as "BadGateway".

As far as I know, seems like Power Automate has no clear limiations about the 'threshold or rate', see:

Export and email a Power BI report with Power Automate

You can considet the limiations for export to PDF itself from Power BI Service:

Export reports from Power BI to PDF 

In addition, since you have mentioned that only Direct Query would be affected and the error is about 'BadGateway', whether these reports have configured correctly by the gateway.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
GaryH
Frequent Visitor

I have an additional update on this.  This morning the power automator jobs started working again, and I was able to extract about 40 pptx files.   After this, it locked again and it now showing the behaviour above.  

This would suggest there is some sort of threshold or rate limiting issue we are hitting, however our other reports (that don't use direct query for Power BI) don't have any issues.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

As far as I know, seems like Power Automate has no clear limiations about the 'threshold or rate', see:

Export and email a Power BI report with Power Automate

You can considet the limiations for export to PDF itself from Power BI Service:

Export reports from Power BI to PDF 

In addition, since you have mentioned that only Direct Query would be affected and the error is about 'BadGateway', whether these reports have configured correctly by the gateway.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

GaryH
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Is there any progress on this issue.  It's been a month and we still have issues with our executive report regularly failing.  In addition, we have created a power app that calls a flow to generate a power bi report and it gets the "BadGateway" error.  We are clear that we are not exeeding any limits.  

Kind Regards,

Gary