Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power Bi Desktop Error Message: Each original name must belong to the set of all names.

I've never seen that error message before - just loaded a bunch of tables as usual 😕

For sure I will retry. Just wanted to report it here.

FrankPreusker_1-1627075898826.png

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experienced the same problem.

aexley_0-1627115568459.png

Two sources - one an Azure SQL DB, the other Azure Data Lake Gen 2

Have stack trace if it assists.

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.95.804.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Utilities.NameUtilities","Error":"System.ArgumentException","MethodDef":"Rename","ErrorOffset":"83"}

carlosam
Frequent Visitor

Experienced the same problem.

Uninstall most new version and reload the past version of PBI, and work very well

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@FrankPreusker 

I tried the latest version of Power BI Desktop but cannot reproduce the issue. You may also try earlier versions from Power BI updates archive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

We experienced the same issue. Two colleagues working with same code: one is using version 2.94.921.0 hasn't experienced it, while other using 2.95.804.0 has experienced it. We are importing a folder of XMLs.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same problem here.

We delivered a working model and in the last few days I have made some minor changes to optimise some queries by deleting some steps in the process and by adding names and descriptions to the different Powerquery steps. And now almost every query in the model seems to give this error message.

If I go back to a version that I saved on 22 July I can refresh without problems.

I would like to know what is causing this error message so that I don't have to redo all the changes that I have made and I also don't end up with the same error messages again.

edhans
Super User

If anyone can provide sample data this happens on it would really help the team figure this out. Clearly there is an issue here. I recommend everyone having this issue open a support ticket via this page where you can confidentially share data or do screen-shares so they can see the exact issue.

Bertiescrepe
Regular Visitor

I can't upload the data I'm using but have the same issue. Connecting an API source on another organisations Power BI tennant using SQL Analysis Services connector. I have a DAX summarise and nester filter statement on imports which are then appended. Works in Power Query editor then fails with the message as above on the Power BI dashboard.

The temporary workaround for me has been to copt the Power Queries into Excel and then link to the loaded Excel tables. Might work in some cases for others although there are limitations.

MarcThomas
Regular Visitor

Same error here: using an API to import json-data. It worked well the first time reloading, after that I got this error:

MarcThomas_0-1627411692183.png

dvstrien
Advocate I

Same error for me today and I managed to "resolve" it by downloading and  installing the June version

Anonymous
Not applicable

Answering to this "If anyone can provide sample data this happens on it would really help the team figure this out. Clearly there is an issue here. I recommend everyone having this issue open a support ticket via this page where you can confidentially share data or do screen-shares so they can see the exact issue": it is possible to send sample data opening a support ticket only for Power BI Pro users.