Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power Bi Desktop App not working - Stuck on Initializing Model

Trying to open my PBIX files and the desktop application. nothing open up. It just gets stuck. i have even downloaded the App again. below is the Pic of the error.

BI issue.PNG

Comments
v-bereid
Regular Visitor

@kimaniThanks Kimani. I did not attempt the command prompt workaround, but creating the exclusion for msmdsrv.exe worked.

nahals
Regular Visitor

+1 Confirmed command prompt workaround unblocks me.  Thanks!

shaherbano
Employee

Thanks a ton - it worked 🙂

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

DerekW

This doesn't work for me.  When I run the command from a command prompt, it comes back with "Reset not needed. Already running inbox binaries."

I'd love to have the two days back that I've been trying to get this to work...I could have written a lot of reports in that time...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError.HandleError(IWindowService windowService, LocalizedString title)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.TryOpenOrCreateReport(IUIHost uiHost, ISplashScreen splashScreen, IFileManager fileManager, IFileHistoryManager fileHistoryManager, String filePath, FileType fileType)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Main>b__1()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
We weren't able to connect to the model.

Invocation Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.82.5858.641","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Storage.FileOpenError","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.InvalidDynamicPortException","MethodDef":"HandleError","ErrorOffset":"76"}