Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI with Redshift - decimal places of numerics aren't used or shown

Hi everyone!

i stumbled accross a problem when using Power BI with Redshift. I created a table with one varchar column and one numeric(15,6) column. I added the table in the Power Query editor and chose Direct Query. Then i saw my numeric column was displayed with up to 4 decimal places and my varchar column also showed up. I made sure everything is set correct (e.g. right data type of the columns in Power BI,

net_value_optionsnet_value_options

Then i added those to a table on a report and it showed me wrong numbers. I quickly realized that it is because there are no decimal places:

wrong numberswrong numbers

I would understand if it would round the total value in the end but it's rounding all values before summing them up. Why is it doing this and how do i avoid it?

Any help is appreciated

Best regards

Tim Pörtner

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @tpoertner

In your scenario, the value has two decimal places with comma symbol. Please change the storage mode for this table from DirectQuery to Import, check if the same value returns. As we can't change Import mode to DirectQuery, it would be better to back up .pbix file firstly. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

tpoertner

Thanks for your reply @v-qiuyu-msft!

i changed it to use Import and it uses the decimal places now. But in order to use it i had to remove half of the rows because the table is too large. Is it a bug when using Direct Query? Is there anything i can do to get it using decimal places in Direct Query mode?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @tpoertner

As I don't have the Redshift data source to test the issue, it's hard to say if it's a bug or not. Please update your Power BI desktop to the latest version 2.74.5619.621 then test again. If the issue still occurs, I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiyun Yu