Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI web service Dataflows - Sharepoint Online List is missing columns e.g. FieldValuesAsText

I used the Power BI web service Dataflows feature to connect to a SharePoint Online List. It does return some columns in the same way Power BI Desktop does, yet many columns are missing?  I expected feature parity. 

Without feature parity, I'm blocked on moving queries I've built in Power BI Desktop into Power BI Dataflows. 

A crucial column that is missing is FieldValuesAsText, which can translate the technical column names returned (often meaningless if users renamed columns in SharePoint) back into the column names that SharePoint users are familiar with.

I can publish my Power BI Desktop dataset to the web service and turn on scheduled refresh (all cloud), so obviously there's no technical blocker - it must be "By (bad) Design".

The best solution would be for both Power BI Desktop and Dataflows to automatically rename the columns so we dont have to hack around - there are many blog posts etc on how to achieve this. 

With the launch of Office 365 Lists, I expect this pipeline will become increasingly important.

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@mike_honey ,

You could submit your idea here to help power bi improve.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao