Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI visualisations break with special characters

Hi all,

I've encountered a bug when using cross-filtered visualisations on Power BI dashboards where a filter contains special characters (e.g. a European mailing address). When selecting a filter on a table visualisation with special characters, other visualisations that depend on this filter fail to display with the following error:

OLE DB or ODBC error: [Expression.Error] We couldn't fold the expression to the data source. Please try a simpler expression.

When I perform the same action on a filter with only ASCII characters, the dependent visualisations render correctly.

Would it be possible to have this issue fixed in future updates? Thanks!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jublair

Which special characters do you mean? 

Please ensure you are running the latest Power BI desktop version. 

Please record a video to show the issue, also please capture Power BI desktop trace log and share it with us. You can upload these files to your OneDrive and share the link here or via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

jublair
Regular Visitor

Hi Qiuyun,

An example is an address containing the word "Straße", with the ß character

The problem was occurring on a colleague's computer - I will get their pbix file and attempt to replicate the issue shortly.

jublair
Regular Visitor

I've sent the trace logs to you via private message. I don't have the means to record my screen at this time, but here's a sequence of screenshots:

1.PNG2.PNG3.PNG

jublair
Regular Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft Any updates on this?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jublair,

The link you sent via private message isn't accessible on my side. 

I see the report is in Direct Query/Connect Live mode, which data source do you get data from? If you use import mode, does the same issue occur? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jublair,

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 90765699. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jublair,

PG team team are working on the issue and currently ETA is not fixed. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

jublair
Regular Visitor

Thanks Qiuyun. I look forward to this issue being addressed.