Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI total labels not working when only one option in stacked bar chart

When total labels are turned on, the labels do not show when data is sliced to an option that has only one legend category. 

See here, the data is sliced and there are multiple legend values. The total labels work.

rbrocks_0-1655731453368.png

Here in the same chart, the data is sliced and there is only one legend value. The total labels disappear. 

rbrocks_1-1655731523124.png

We don't want to enable regular data labels, only the total. Is this intended functionality? Or is this a bug? Seems like if I choose total labels on they should always work by default.

Hi @rbrocks 

I have a doubt , the visual you provided is a stacked column chart not a stacked bar chart . So the visua in question is stacked column chart ?I have tested that legend can only put one field , so how did you put multiple values into the legend? Can you provide your visual settings?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @rbrocks 

I have a doubt , the visual you provided is a stacked column chart not a stacked bar chart . So the visua in question is stacked column chart ?I have tested that legend can only put one field , so how did you put multiple values into the legend? Can you provide your visual settings?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

lasersharks
Kudo Collector

This functions as described by OP.

Data as follows:

lasersharks_0-1656066752393.png

Settings as follows.

lasersharks_1-1656066781087.png

Total labels shows when multiple datapoints exist.

lasersharks_2-1656066790910.png

Slicing on one datapoint and total labels no longer show.

lasersharks_3-1656066800717.png

kevin-ky
Advocate I

This needs to be fixed.  Total Labels should always show the total value regardless if we are filtering to just one category. This is clearly a bug.  Please fix.

BrianIsTaken
Frequent Visitor

this is still broken. When you use a stacked column chart and then filter it to one of the categories in the column chart the total data labels dissapear and you see the filtered bars without a data label. This issue still exists and needs to be fixed.

andrewtuplin
Advocate II

Fix please!