Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI is not reading the complete data from sharepoint online list multine field

Hi Team,

I was trying to read data from sharepoint online list, but it is not reading the data completely from multiline text fields if ther is a large data as it is truncating at some limit.

Please look into this issue and provide us a fix.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Rajkumar

Which table did you import when getting data from sharepoint online list? Could you please provide some more details about it? It is also better to provide some screenshots of the actual text field in SP online list and PBI Desktop.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Rajkumar
Helper I

Hi Vicky, I also tried reading data from Excel sheet, got the same issue. Power BI is reading only 1024 character long text , remaining it is truncating.  May be power BI cell size Limit is just 1024 char length.

Can you please fix this at the earliest. This is a big blocker for our business.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Rajkumar

It seems that this only happens in Query Editor, the characters over 1021 will be displayed as ...

However, if you close and apply Query Editor, the long text can be displayed properly in Table visual, which is not truncated there.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Rajkumar
Helper I

Herbert,

We are seeing the same issue even with table visulal. We opened a support ticket with power BI support 5 days ago, they said they are also seeing the same error and working towards fixing the issue.so far we haven't receive a update from the support team.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Rajkumar

Could you please provide the PBIX file to me which can be used to repro this issue? You can also provide the ticket number and maybe I can take a look at the status of it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Rajkumar
Helper I

Hi ,

This Issue got fixed by changing the column data type "Any" to "Text" in the query Editor.

Regards,

Rajkumar Allepu.

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

llaumans
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I am still facing this issue today. I have a multiple lines of text column in a SharePoint list which contains more than 2900 characters (visible in SharePoint) but I PowerBI I only see the first 1024 Characters.

I have followed the best practice as described above and set the data type value of the column in the query editor to "Text". This does however not resolve my issue.

To connect PowerBI to SharePoint I am using the standard SharePoint Online list connector in PowerBI.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Lucas