Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI desktop refresh not working

Today when I tried to Refresh the data in my Power BI Desktop reports I'm getting an error message...

"The model doesn't have a named expression named Calculations"

I've tried several other Reports and when I refresh, I get a similar message. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @hftrc001

Please check measures or calculated columns have any issue. You can take a look at this similar thread: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Can-t-Apply-Query-Changes-The-model-doesn-t-have-a-named/td...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

hftrc001
Advocate I

I don't think thats the issue.  The published version of the Report works just fine, its only the Desktop version.  And in fact, working with Microsoft Support, we downloaded the web version of the App and it processed the refresh without any problems.  It seems the issue is isolated to the Microsoft Store version of the Desktop.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @hftrc001

It loos like you already created a support ticket to Microsoft support, right? 

If it is, please keep contacting with ticket owner to get help. It would be better to share causes and solutions here once the issue is resolved. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

dharsanj
Helper II

I am also having the same issue on Power BI Desktop. Refresh fails with this message:

Expense Measures

The model doesn't have a named expression named Expense Measures.

Expense Measures is a Measure Table with no columns.

Any insights to how to resolve this?

hftrc001
Advocate I

2020-05-19 15_30_50-Window.png

I moved all the DAX formulas from the Table with the calculator icon to one that has a table icon.  Then I went into the Model window and deleted the Calculator icon table from the Report.  It was a chore moving all the DAX calculations from the table to another, but it worked and now the report refreshes normally.

dharsanj
Helper II

Thanks. The sheer thought of moving all the DAX measures from one table to another makes me shudder as I have many. Microsoft, any other ideas? 

dharsanj
Helper II

Here is another proposal that worked for me. Much easier than moving DAX measures from one table to another. To quote the solution from the one who posted:

I ran into the same issue on many of my models. In some cases my models would not even open let alone refresh. In all cases that I ran into this problem it was tied to the tables that I created to hold my various measure calculations. The work around that ended up working for me was to open up the Power Query Editor, find the applicable measure table, and then delete the last applied step which was a “Removed Column”. Once I did this and applied I was able to refresh without an issue

Eilif
Regular Visitor

I had the same problem.

When I created the Measures table I Deleted the one column that was in the table in order to get the Caculator icon and have the "table" appear in the top of the list.
As dharsanj describes above, I went to the Query editor and removed the last step "Removed Column" and then went back to the report. 
Now the measures table is present and Refresh is working, but the Icon for the measures table is now a normal Table Icon and the table appears "in the middle" of the list of tables.
In stead of deleting the 1 column in the Measures table I right clicked it and marked is as "Hide" . Collapsed the view and reopened and the Measures icon is back and the Measures table in appearing in the top of the view.