Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI dataflow automatically transform null text value into empty

We have created a linked entity in the dataflow; however, in the linked entity, all the null values (i.e. null) in the text fields have been automatically transformed into empty (""). We didn't notice this transformation for fields with other data types.

Further testing shows that the dataflow automatically treats null text values as empty. 

See below example: 

Example 1: Power BI dataflow autom-detects null text values as empty

HShi_4-1656018157526.pngHShi_5-1656018182257.png

Example 2: Original dataflow vs linked entity

HShi_6-1656018218257.png

HShi_7-1656018285917.png

Hi @HShi,

From the first screenshot from you, we can see that Power BI treats these values as Generic data type but not Text data type when retrieving data from the original dataflow. The data types from the original are not kept in the downstream dataflow. If you change its data type to Date munually, you shoud see the empty rows displayed as null values again.

vcazhengmsft_0-1656047802821.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @HShi,

From the first screenshot from you, we can see that Power BI treats these values as Generic data type but not Text data type when retrieving data from the original dataflow. The data types from the original are not kept in the downstream dataflow. If you change its data type to Date munually, you shoud see the empty rows displayed as null values again.

vcazhengmsft_0-1656047802821.png

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

HShi
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-cazheng-msft ,

My concern is not related to the Date data type but the Text data type in the Power BI Service dataflow. In my first example in the Text column, row 5 shows empty instead of null. This same behavior is observed in my example 2. In the original dataflow, row 5 of the text column is null, but in the linked entity, it is showing empty again.