Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Service - Export to PDF, Additional Whitespace

When export a report to PDF from the Power BI Service, additional white space is added to the right side of the report. 

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a new report in Power BI Desktop
2. Add a rectangle to the report and stretch it to all four corners of the canvas
3. Publish the report to the Power BI Service
4. View the report in the Power BI Service
5. Export the report to PDF in the Power BI Service
6. Note, in the PDF the rectangle has shifted to the left of the report and additional whitespace has been added to the top, bottom and right hand side of the report.

I have reproduced this issue using letter, 16:9 and custom page sizes. I have reproduced this issue with various visuals.

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@jpretorius 

The issue is reported internally : CRI 198637093.

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@jpretorius 

This is by design.

jpretorius
Advocate I

@v-chuncz-msft ,

Please could you elaborate on "by design". 

By design would imply that the product delivery team have purposely implemented functionality to add additional whitespace to the right hand side of the page when exporting to PDF from the Power BI Service? I find this very hard to believe. What user story does this address? Who benefits from this functionality?

As a Microsoft Gold Partner something I feel quite strongly about and always communicate with my clients is how responsive the Microsoft support teams are and how willing they are to work with customers to address software issues and bugs. I'm concerned the "by design" approach above is damaging this. I used to work as a consultant on the SAP software stack, what's extremely dissapointing is this "by design" response is the exact message I used to hear from the SAP support teams time and time again when they couldn't be bothered to address a software issue. Is Microsoft heading down this route or is there a genuine user story for the additional whitespace?