Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Service Complains Data Duplication Before Power Query Script was Executed

I have a Excel sheet that contains daily production target of current month and next month on separate worksheets. To standaedlize the update process, both sheet contains 31 days of production target.

For example, the current month is Sptember which has 30 days, so the very last column of the worksheet will contains the date of "01/10/2019". The next worksheet will contains the daily production target for October.  In this case, the first column of October and very last column for September both have the date of "01/10/2019". To deal with this, before append the October's data after September, I have a Power Query M script to delete the extra column according to the month. Everything works on the Power BI PC software, but after published to the Power BI Service, it complains data duplication for many-to-one relationship when the dataset was refreshing, even thought the duplicate data should handled by the Power Query Script.

P.S. Actually this Power Query Script works for the past few months, and it refuses to work after I updated the new data of October. I checked the data type both in the source Excel file and the Power Query Editor, I cannot tell any difference. 

Thanks

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please download the report from service and open it in Power BI desktop, go to Model view, find which columns are used to create the many-to-one relationship, then check if the column used in one side does not contain duplicate values or blank value. 

Click on Refresh button to ensure the report can be refreshed successfully in Power BI desktop, then republish the report to Power BI service. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

After download, no errors were found in the desktop software, and I was able to refresh all the tables without any problem. Then I published again to the Power Bi Service, it still compalins about the same error. That's why I'm wondering if the Power Query M script is properly evaluated on the Power Bi Service in some cases.