Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Report Server - Not able to publish reports using custom authentication

Hi,

I have recently configured a Power BI Report Server using Custom authentication and I am able to access the report portal and report server using custom authentication.

But I am facing problem in deploying reports in this Report Server. I am not able to connect using SQL Server Data Tools or Report Builder. Error message: "The permissions granted to user '' are insufficient for performing this operation."

I tried to deploy the reports by using rs.exe utility but I get an error "Could not connect to server: http://<servername>/ReportServer/ReportService2010.asmx"

I am new to SSRS and PBIRS so please guide me in resolving this issue.

Regards,

Ramesh

Comments
RameshKumar1986
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I have recently configured a Power BI Report Server using Custom authentication and I am able to access the report portal and report server using custom authentication.

But I am facing problem in deploying reports in this Report Server. I am not able to connect using SQL Server Data Tools or Report Builder. Error message: "The permissions granted to user '' are insufficient for performing this operation."

I tried to deploy the reports by using rs.exe utility but I get an error "Could not connect to server: http://<servername>/ReportServer/ReportService2010.asmx"

I am new to SSRS and PBIRS so please guide me in resolving this issue.

Regards,

Ramesh

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @RameshKumar1986,

Did you configure custom authentication for Power BI report server follow this article?

When you deploy reports, is there a window pops out for your to enter user name and password which is valid to deploy reports to target report server. You can go through this similar thread: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/5e40e67f-a2c0-45aa-b5d0-fb0f1fa31181/publis...

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

RameshKumar1986
Regular Visitor

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have configured by following the same steps as per the article. I don't get a pop up window to enter user name and password when I try to deploy the reports using SSDT or rs.exe. 

I read through the link provided but couldn't find any root cause why such issue occurs. The last post in the forum mentions that the pop up for username/pwd appears after 3 attempts but in my case there is no popup at all.

It would be great if I could get a working sample for deploying reports using custom authetication. Please let me know.

Regards,

Ramesh

RameshKumar1986
Regular Visitor

Hi,

I found out the mistake I did in the AuthorizationExtesion class. I implemented the LogonUser method incorrectly which resulted in authenticating all users with empty user name but then it failed in authorization which resulted in the error messages I posted earlier.
Fixed the implementation for authentication and it’s all good now.

Thanks for your inputs!

Regards,

Ramesh