Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Paginated Report User!UserID not same for parameters and body when embedding

When embedding a Power BI Paginated report as App Owns Data (ISV) the built-in field User!UserID, which holds the username property of the identity element, is different when used in report paramenters compared to when it is used in the body.

Apparently the User!UserID when executed in the context of the paramenters pane holds the GUID of the SPN (App ID) and not the username property which is expected.

See an example here of a simple Paginated report where the body has a text box with the value set as an expression User!UserID. Same expression is used for the default value of the report paramenter but instead of holding 'DNK', which is the value of the username property in the identity element of the embed token, the default value of the parameter is set to the App ID (Guid of the app registration). 

This cannot be right. It should support limiting available parameter values based on a dataset. But this is not possible as the User!UserID is always equal to the App ID when parsed from the parameter pane.

@AlonBAR and @chrisfin is this due to the fact that we are in preview, can this be accomplished through a workaround or will this be fixed in a future release?

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@gronnerup 

To get faster and better technical support for this issue, you may directly create a support ticket.

gronnerup
Advocate I

@v-chuncz-msft Already done yesterday just after creating the issue here. 

samsonfr
Frequent Visitor

@gronnerup did you get any information about this issue from Microsoft support?

I reached out to partner support because it is an urgent issue for one of our project.

It's required in order to implement data security (same report, different data depending on the user specified in REST API embedding call) ... It's useless otherwise ...

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Frederick

gronnerup
Advocate I

@samsonfr 

I am still in contact with the Power BI Support Team.

They have reproduced the issue and I am currently waiting for feedback on some additional questions. 

I have tried reaching out again to see if it speeds up the process. I will keep you posted

Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you able to get this question answered? We're facing a similar issue.

samsonfr
Frequent Visitor

ETA was that a fix was to be available end of March 2020. I didn't receive any news after that.

Out of curiosity, I tried again last week and it worked for me!

Did you try recently?

Our Power BI tenant is located in North Central US (Illinois), so it it doesn't work for you maybe it's just not deployed on your tenant yet.

Frederick

mittalpatel130
Helper III

Hello,

I'm facing the same issue and for me it is US GCC cloud. Anybody knows whether this fix was released for US GCC cloud? 

Thank you,

dhruvsharma2306
Regular Visitor

Hi Team, 

Has anyone got resolution to the query ? 

Scenario: We are embedding the Paginated Power BI Report to our application using the App owns data service. We are trying to capture the username who has logged into the paginated reports using the inbuilt user!userID function. We intend to then pass this userid to the 'employee access datamodel' which we have created as part of our application development. The user!userID returns the App ID and not the username property which makes the implementation of data security in paginated reports useless. We are building Paginated Reports using the below version of Paginated Report Builder .

dhruvsharma2306_0-1658889456160.png

Note - The same concept of capturing username in power bi desktop works well. 

Reading the comments above in this thread, I see that there was some work being done to resolve this by Microsoft.  Is there any update or workaround that the community members maybe aware of pls. 

Thanks 

samsonfr
Frequent Visitor

It was fixed in april 2020.

Best regards,

Frederick

MallikarjunaBan
Helper II

Hi @Dhrin @gronnerup @samsonfr @mittalpatel130  @amitchandak 

Dear All,

Please let me know if the solution for RLS  has been achieved in power bi paginated report when power bi data set used as a source .please share links if any kindly