Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Online Service today() not refreshing

I've created two columns using DAX formulas on Power BI Desktop, one is to calculate the number of days until a date listed in a separate column (using =[DATE]-today()) and the other is to return 1 or 0 depending on if there's 21 days until the listed date (using an IF function). The purpose is to be able to send an email alert when it's 3 weeks from the date listed. I think that I can do that with a card set to the max of the column returning 1 or 0 and send a Power BI alert for that card and use Microsoft Flow to send an email then. However, I can't get the column's formulas to update on ther Power BI Service. It updates fine each day (the "days until" steadily decreasing) in Power BI Desktop, but the number is frozen on the day I uploaded the report and dataset online. Even when I manually publish the report/dataset again from Power BI Desktop, the numbers don't update. How do I get the today() function, or any of the functions in the columns, to update on their own? Or is there a way I can schedule desktop to publish the report (if it will update the numbers) every day? If anyone has any better suggestions for how I can schedule an email alert to certain people 3 weeks from a listed date, that would also be very helpful!

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous 

I noticed that the date changes at 7:05am in the morning - which is peculiar . So I think i will offeset the date function which calculates by the difference and set refresh accordingly 

SG083
Regular Visitor

I realise this is an old thread, but I am having the same issue and I was wondering whether it has to do with using DAX  for the data table, rather than a Power Query Data table.

Since reading this I will try the refresh item before I rebuild the data table in Power Query. 

Thanks for the input!