Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI - NEW WORKSPACES corrupted after publishing report with Composite Models

I've been using the New Workspaces that are on preview and i came accross something really weird.

Yesterday i was playing around with a report and i used a composite models (feature that is also on preview so i assume that is the cause) and then i published that into an existing Workspaces that had a couple of reports in.

When i logged into the Workspace all my reports had completed disapeared.... leaving only Datasets behind (probably because there are apps published).

If i try to upload the missing reports that use existing Datasets (I have both SQL and Azure Analysis Services datasets) they will disapear in a matter of seconds.

I even tried a sneaky move and in the few seconds a report is visible to edit and save it again. But that doesn't work also I get the error bellow:

"Something went wrong
Unable to save the report
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Activity ID: 3a21ad61-1ff7-471b-8c96-7f5349e69b5f
Request ID: 07d9fdb4-fe6d-75fa-c364-db08185f4ad3
Correlation ID: 151a5d23-f8f3-bf02-a20b-1e53a6989516
Status code: 401
Time: Tue Oct 30 2018 12:04:15 GMT+0000 (Western European Standard Time)
Version: 13.0.7149.169
Cluster URI: https://wabi-south-east-asia-redirect.analysis.windows.net"

From my tests only new reports that create a new Data Set are able to stay... all the others just disapear everytime

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Agostinho_Fer,

When you mention the report contains Composite Models, which data source does the report get data from. I see you mention the SQL and Azure Analysis Services datasets, do you mean you import data from sql data source and connect live to Power BI datasets (Azure Analysis Service dataset)? 

Would you please record a video to show the issue so we can understand the issue better? 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Agostinho_Fer
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

All the datasets got corrupted i guess...

As requested i've created a video see this Link that explains things a little bit better.

Thank you

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Agostinho_Fer,

From your video, I see these workspace are assigned with premium capacity.

I have tested on my side, create a report connect to SQL database with DirectQuery mode and import data from local Excel, after publishing this report to a new preview version workspace assigned with Power BI premium capacity, existing reports in the workspace can display after refreshing browser, also we can edit the published report and save the change. 

Please check if my test steps is correct. If not, please clarify detail steps for us to reproduce it. 

You can delete the report from Power BI service(Please ensure you have a backup pbix file) and open the report in the latest Power BI desktop version 2.63.3272.40461 then publish to Power BI service to see if the same issue occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Agostinho_Fer
Regular Visitor

I've updated to the lastest Power BI desktop version 2.63.3272.40461 and the problem still was there. I ended up re uploading all the files again with different data set names and that fixed it.

I was digging up to see if i could get the original pbix file that had corrupted the data sets but i just couldn't find it...

I've tryed to recreate a file that had the issue but still without success. It might have been some perfect storm of preview features (probably wasn't even the composite model fault).

The original trublesome report that caused the issue, was edited on the Power BI service to do some layout adjustments on the fly and then i used the "Download a .pibx copy" (also says preview) and proceeded doing changes to the model that included making it a composite model.

In some of the backups i found the desktop version would prompt the following message:

"Report layout difference might exist

This Power BI report file may have some features that aren't available in Power BI desktop until the next release.

If you need to see the latest version you worked with on the web (app.powerbi.com), please view the report there. We're sorry for any inconvinience"

I'm sorry i can't provide all the steps to reproduce this correctly.

I've managed to step yet again on being Unable to update app (i even made a video that you can see on the link) and this only happens on a couple of Workspaces.

At first i thought as the message says the latest content would take around 5-10 minutes or up to one day but i've waited a couple of weekends and in some cases.

It doesn't allow to add any new reports and once i remove the ones that were initially there i never can put them back. The workaround has been doing the Unpublish of the App and Publishing everything again. But since the link for the app completly changes is trouble some because people lose the access an i need to send them again.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Agostinho_Fer,

It's hard to provide further support on forum side. I would suggest you create a support ticket to get dedicated support from Microsoft. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered