Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Model Layout Corrupted

Power BI Desktop (64 bit) is losing the layout of the model if you save a file without altering the pre-existing model.

To recreate:

1. Open an existing .pbix file containing a model you have laid out nicely.

2. Go to modelling tab and observe correct layout.

3. Press Save.

4. Close Power BI Desktop.

5. Re-open same .pbix file

6. Go back to modelling tab, and the layout has been completely messed up and 'auto-arranged'.

I've found a work-around:

If you make sure you change the layout - even slightly - say, move a table a couple of pixels, and then save - your new layout persists.  It only happens if you don't change the model!

Our model is Imported, using a custom connector.

I've had this problem in Feb and March releases, and is still present in the latest (April?) release:

This is a critical bug, as we need to distribute the models to our clients, and we don't want to have to tell them to wiggle a table in the model before saving any new reports they've added!

Comments
v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @kevnotec ,

I was not able to reproduce the same problem on my side. Would you please provide more description about "Go to modelling tab and observe correct layout."? If possible, please share your sample .pbix file for test. Remember to mask sensitive data before sharing.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Tamriko
Regular Visitor

my model layout is reset each time I re-open the file. I believe it should stay the way I aligned it for easier observation of the connection independent to if I made changes to it or not. I have a quite complex model at the moment. Understanding its connections each time is a pain to my eyes. 

Also with new releases, it works really slow to move tables around or create new connections. 

Guys, please fix it soon!

kevnotec
Advocate I

Appears to be fixed in Easter Day's release, v.  2.68.5432.841 

Thanks for working over the holiday!

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Delivered