Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Matrix and Show Items With No Data Bug

There is a pretty severe bug that causes data to dissappear from the matrix table when show items with no data is selected. I have identified a few workarounds but I have no idea of the underlying cause.

Here is the dataset I am using. It is part of a larger dataset in a DB and the bug is crippling our ability to use PowerBI.

Using the data set here is how you can replicate the bug.

1. Select the data set as the data source for the report
  2. Manage relationships and check that there is all the required relationships
    • Payments (EventID) -> Event (EventID)
    • Sale (PaymentID) -> Payments (PaymentID)
    • Transaction (SaleKey) -> Sale (SaleKey)
  3. Then create a slicer and put the EventName in that slicer
  4. Create a matrix with the data
    • Put the Transaction Created Hierarchy Month and Day as the Rows
    • Put the EventName as the Columns
    • Put the Total as the values
    • It should look like the image below
    • Matrix Setup
  5. Expand the matrix down all one level in the hierarchy (downward forked arrow)
  6. Note the data that appears 
    • February 14th is a day that is affected, Event 1 should have 7,989.19 in it's column
  7. Now go back over to the matrix rows setup and select show items with no data for created
  8. Now look at the data in the matrix
    • February 14th will now have no data listed against it as well as some other days
    • The row totals will still be correct though

Workarounds:

If you sort the matrix by total descending (and only this sort) the data reappears (annoying).

If you add a slicer for event month and limit it to 1 selection only the data reappears (usable but not ideal).

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @verpos

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 113407872. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

verpos
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

Is there anyway for me to check the progress of an issue?

Kind regards,

Verpos

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @verpos

Only internal users can access CRI. PG team already created a item to track this issue, but there is no progress currently. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @verpos

I got information that "The fix will be out by June 25, latest. The customer just needs to update to the latest version of desktop when it comes out in June, the PowerBI.com service will get the same fix a bit sooner." 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

verpos
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

Thank you for that, that is awesome news.

I will pass it along to my team.

Kind regards,

Verpos

rveron
Regular Visitor

Hello @v-qiuyu-msft,

Has this issue been fixed? I'm having the same problem after the February 2020 upgrade.  I am unable to get the "show items with no data" option to work in the Power BI matrix viz.  

Thank you,

Rachel

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@verpos 

This should have been fixed in the latest version.