Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Hijacking Direct Report Links and Redirecting to Home Page After Updating Report Share

On an internal webpage, we provide direct links to Power BI shared reports.  Whenever we add/delete groups to the shared report/dashboard (share), Power BI redirects ALL users to the Power BI Home page (https://app.powerbi.com/home) the first time a consumer tries to click on the direct link. This leaves the consumer confused thinking the link doesn’t work.  The second time they click on the link, Power BI correctly takes them to the actual report. Please fix this to prevent redirecting to the home page after changing report/dashboard shared groups.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dmbeas12

Which do you mean about "direct links to Power BI shared reports"? 

Please share detail steps for us to reproduce the issue, or record a video to clarify it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

dmbeas12
Regular Visitor
  1. We shared multiple Power BI reports via a dashboard in a Premium workspace.
  2. We built an intranet webpage that has links to open the reports. Here is an example of a report link: https://app.powerbi.com/groups/me/reports/abcd5555-5555-1111d-abcd-888888883abc?filter=Projects%252F...
  3. Everything works great normally. Users click on a report link on the webpage to access the Power BI report directly (without having to go through Power BI -> Shared with me). The link opens the report directly.
  4. If I change who the dashboard (report) is shared with by adding or removing groups to the share permissions, the next and first time ALL users click on a report link on the intranet webpage, the link TRIES to take them directly to the report, but they get redirected to the Power BI home page. Power BI should never redirect users to a home page (app.powerbi.com) if they are trying to go directly to a report.
  5. After the user clicks on one of the intranet webpage report links and is redirected to the Power BI home page, they have to go back to the intranet webpage and click on the report link again. The second time they click on the report link (or any other report link that is shared), it will correctly take them directly to the Power BI report.
  6. It's something that happens when changes are made to who the dashboard/report is shared with. Again, we share the report through a shared dashboard in a premium workspace. This workspace was created in Apr-May 2017.
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @dmbeas12

Thank you for your detail steps. 

As I don't know which intranet webpage you mean and how to create this intranet webpage, I signed in with the recipient account in Power BI service in a inprivate mode browser. If the report owner shares the report with this recipient, the recipient pastes the report link like yours in inprivate mode browser, it's able to open the report. If we share the report with another security group, the recipient still able to access the report by paste the same URL in a new tab within inprivate mode browser. 

In your scenario, please try to test without intranet webpage and use the inprivate mode browser to sign in recipient account firstly to Power BI service then test again, check if the same issue still occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu