Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Gateway offline

Hello everyone, 

Hope you are doing fine.

I have a Power BI Gateway installed on one the servers at the office and it helps to sync data into the designated workspaces in the Power BI Cloud. This has been up and running since Oct 2017.

For the past few days, I have noticed that the Power BI Gateway is systematically offline for my first sync at 2 AM UTC but runs perfectly well for the next sync at 2:30 AM UTC. When I launch the sync manually afterwards, it runs without any issue.  I honestly don't know where to start looking for the problem. 

Grateful if anyone could please guide me.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards, 

Yogesh

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Yogesh_NMH,

You can go to Refresh History, find the failed record, click Show to find RequestID. 

Find the gateway log files follow this article, search the RequestID you got in these files to find what happened. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Yogesh_NMH
Helper I

Hello Qiuyun Yu,

Many thanks for your post & apologies for my late reply.

I have checked the Export Logs as advised. 

Actually, I have noticed that whenever the automatic refresh fails (and the Gateway connection is unreachable from the Power BI Cloud), as soon as I do a Remote Desktop Connection to my Data Warehouse server and then I check the Gateway connection status again in the Power BI Cloud, I see that it is back online. 

It's as if the Gateway service has gone to sleep and doing a RDP connection to the Data Warehouse server "wakes it up". That's quite weird actually.

If anyone has a hint where to look for, then your comments & suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Yogesh