Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Free users cannot access reports published in premium capacity through an embedded SharePoi

Free users cannot access embedded reports in SharePoint even if they have the correct access and the report resides in premium capacity.  They can see the reports in the POwer BI app with a free license but not as a SharePoint embedded link.  If we upgrade them to PowerBI Pro, they can then see the report as an embedded SharePoint link.  In addition,  we found that when a user is upgraded to a power bi pro license, they still cannot access embedded SharePoint reports until they visit the PowerBI app.  Following that first visit, they can view the embedded SharePoint reports.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @luiso,

Based on this article, as you have assigned Premium capacity for the app workspace, you need to add this free user to be a member of this app workspace. In your scenario, please check if the free user is a member of that app workspace. If not, please add the free user to be a member of app workspace then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

luiso
Regular Visitor

The article states:

Alternatively, you can grant users access to your report by doing the following.

1. Add a tile from the report to a dashboard.

2. Share the dashboard with the users that need access to the report. 

In teh situation we are experiencing, the report is shared as a dashboard in a premium capacity workpspace.  Teh dashboard is shared with the target user.  This shoudl not be considered a rights issue, as teh user can access the report from teh POwerBI App.  

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @luiso,

I would suggest you go through the document carefully again: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-embed-report-spo#allowing-free-users-access-to-rep...

Also I confirmed with the Product Group and for now in order to share an embed report in SharePoint online with Premium we have to add the shared user to the Premium Workspace.

The suggestion was to give only view rights over the Workspace and I think that the best scenario would be to create a second Premium Workspace where we will keep only the reports that we want to embed and share with the users that needs to have access to it.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

luiso
Regular Visitor

I am not interested in sharing a workspace.  I woudl like to share the report/dashboartd directly and distribute through SharePOint.  Is that possibel or are you stating that teh only way for a free user to view a Sharepoint embedded report is to be member of teh Workspace (even if read only)?  If tat is teh case, please update teh cdocumentation you are ferrring me to, as it explicitely states that I can grant access and disrtibute via Sharepoint by sharing teh dashboard: "Share the dashboard with the users that need access to the report. For more information, see Share a dashboard with colleagues and others."