Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Row level security being on breaks calculate measure

We have an issue that our PBI file works fine but when row level security is turned on we get error messages. 

We have tracked it down to a caculate measure. When row level security is off this measure works fine  - 

CALCULATE (sum(UnitSalesValues[Sale Values]), 'UnitSalesValues'[Attribute]= "Sold prior to qtr" )

When row level security is turned on this measure creates the following error is the visual. If the bolded part is taken out the measure works fine. 

Colukn't load the data for the visal

An unexpected exception occured. 

This same file was working with last months version of PBI. The data in UnitSalesValues is visable with the row level security turned on and has values for "sold prior to qtr". 

However, even if we use last months pbix file it does not work in the PBI Embeded enviroment. 

This certainly seems to be an error in PBI. Further when the row level security is first turned on a black screen apears and the following program is run. 

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\SQLDUMPER.EXE

Comments
dcresp
Advocate IV

We have a Dashboard this is in the old Azure Power BI Embeded enviroment. Withint the last 24 hours visuals that were working now come up with the error message - Can't display the visual. See Details. This is one various but not all Table and Map visuals and had not been an issue previously. We are using Dynamic Row Level Security which if turned off the visual works fine so it is obviously connected to Row Level Security. The details of the error message are -

Couldn't load the data for this visual

Couldn't retrieve the data for this visual. Please try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Nothing has changed with the Dasboard and it was working last week. Has somthing chaged with Azure Embeded Dynamic Row Level security?

dcresp
Advocate IV

We still have this issue but have done further testing of the problem and now narrowed it down to a PBI issue with Row Level Security. I will re-post this as a new issue. 

welnick
Frequent Visitor

I am receiving a similiar issue. Row level security worked fine a couple days ago and we now receive the same error messages as the OP on some of our calculate formulas only when the row level security is turned on. 

I quick fix would be greatly appreciated as this could cause us legal issues if row level security is broken.

dcresp
Advocate IV

Glad to see we are not the only ones having this issue. I was fairly sure that our Dashboard was also working fine earlier this week. This error is effecting a large number of visuals on our Dashboard which means that the Dashboard is not usable. It is an PBI Embeded Dashboard so this means subscribers are seing a broken Dashboard. Not a good look. Urgent attention to this issue would be very greatly apreciated. @Vicky_Song could you please have somone look at this. I am happy to share the Dashboard with a technician as we have a mutual non discoluser agreement. Thank you for any assistance. 

dcresp
Advocate IV

Here is the SQLDUMPER information that was generated. Hopefully this helps somone at MS identify the issue.

Capture.PNG

dcresp
Advocate IV

I have also sent a frown dump of information to - pbidesfb@microsoft.com

dcresp
Advocate IV

I got a reply to my frown e-mail saying that Microsoft are aware of this issue. However, no indication on timing of the fix. Given that this issue means that our Dashboard is now not working it would be good to be able to get an indication on how far away the fix is. 

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@dcresp @welnick

I noticed that an existing issue has already been reported to Power BI Team internally: CRI 42891567

Now the product team is looking into it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

dcresp
Advocate IV

Thank you for the update. Our clients are currently not able to use our Dashboard. Are you able to provide any work around or idea of timing for a fix?