I've been working with Power BI Direct Query reports now for almost 4 years now, but since the september release I'm experiencing a serious problem.
It seems it does some kind of validation when opening a report in Power BI Desktop, or in the Service after publishing a new version of a report.
During that validation it executes all of my queries on the underlying datasource, Azure SQL db in my case. This takes a lot of time.
In PBI Desktop and in the Service it fails with a memory error.
Actually it executes a bunch of SQL views, and when I put a WHERE clause in them restricting the execution time and the amount of data to return, all of them get executed. This is however not a solution for me. In the Service it does get executed only the first time after publishing a new release.
Power BI didn't have that behaviour before the September 2020 release.
Probably it has something to do with the new Power Query M parameters. Hower this preview option isn't availlable for Azure SQL databases.
This dicates me to stay on the August release, and I don't want to get behind with new releases.
I tested the November release as well.
Can someone look in to this please, it's realy important for me and my clients.