cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power BI Direct Query validate on first load

Hello,

I've been working with Power BI Direct Query reports now for almost 4 years now, but since the september release I'm experiencing a serious problem.

It seems it does some kind of validation when opening a report in Power BI Desktop, or in the Service after publishing a new version of a report.

During that validation it executes all of my queries on the underlying datasource, Azure SQL db in my case. This takes a lot of time.

In PBI Desktop and in the Service it fails with a memory error.

Actually it executes a bunch of SQL views, and when I put a WHERE clause in them restricting the execution time and the amount of data to return, all of them get executed. This is however not a solution for me. In the Service it does get executed only the first time after publishing a new release.

Power BI didn't have that behaviour before the September 2020 release.

Probably it has something to do with the new Power Query M parameters. Hower this preview option isn't availlable for Azure SQL databases.

This dicates me to stay on the August release, and I don't want to get behind with new releases.

I tested the November release as well.

Can someone look in to this please, it's realy important for me and my clients.

Thanks in advance,

Frank Goossens

Comments
Community Support

@Goofr 

When using the connector, try to specify SQL statement in the Advanced options instead of using the Navigator dialog.

Advocate IV

@v-chuncz-msft

I've always specified my SQL statements using the advanced options.

Like I said, until August everything worked well, from PBI Desktop September it takes minutes to open my file.

My SQL statements don't get a filter (report filter) from Power BI Desktop nor the Service when opening the first time.

Frank