Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop won't open. Stuck on Initializing Model

Power BI Desktop does not start correctly anymore but it stucks to "Initializing Model" for 15 minutes or so. After that long loading time Power BI finally starts but it doesn't fix the issue, next time it lasts again very long time same way. This is very frustrating and slows our work progress. I tried to uninstall the Power BI and installed the latest version but still the same. Windows 7 64Bit, Power BI Desktpo 64Bit. Please fix the issue asap, thank you.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Did the same issue happen before?

When you start the Power BI desktop application, please go to Task Manager to see the usage of CPU and memory. You can also reboot the machine without any other applications run, then start the Power BI desktop, check if the same issue occurs. 

By the way, the support for Windows 7 will be ending after January 14, 2020, I would suggest you upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 in advance. See: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/end-of-windows-7-support

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Thanks Qiuyun! The same problem didn't happen earlier but it started Yesterday. On Monday I tried to open Power BI file done by my colleague but it gave me "Index was outside the bounds of the array" error notification. Power BI started normally at that time (very fast) but the file gave that error. Day after starting of the Power BI started to last >15 min.

When Power BI is in Initializing mode the CPU usage of Power BI application looks like 0 and Memory usage 65 000K. Peaks on overall CPU usage are even 90% but then it settles to 15 - 20%. Restarting didn't help.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu