Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop unable to import data from SSAS Multidimensional

Hi there,

I'm trying to import data from SSAS Multidimensional using Power BI Desktop, but I got this error:

Could not load type 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient.CloudConnectionAuthenticationProperties' from assembly 'Microsoft.PowerBI.AdomdClient, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=89845dcd8080cc91'.

I can do live connection, but not import. Please help.

Cheers,

Leo

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please connect live to the SSAS model in Power BI desktop, drag the same dimensions and measures to one visual (eg: table visual) to see if data can display fine. 

By the way, please try to update Power BI desktop to the latest version 2.74.5619.862

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

Thanks for the reply, I got the answer already from analysis services forum:
Copy paste Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient inside the GAC_MSIL and rename it to Microsoft.PowerBI.AdomdClient (rename folder + file)

Or in another word:
1) I created a folder called Microsoft.PowerBI.AdomdClient in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL, the content of the folder are same with Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AdomdClient
2) Rename the file to Microsoft.PowerBI.AdomdClient.dll

Then it solves the issue. My only worries is that I need to hack my local environment a bit to make it work, instead of installing the latest software or drivers. Is this expected?

Cheers,
Leo

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Based on my research, I can import data from SSAS without creating this kind of folder. I would suggest you reset the setting, then update your Power BI desktop to the latest version as ours then test again to see if the same issue occurs. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's doable in my local environment because I have visual studio for developing the SSAS Tabular and it looks like they are sharing the same dll or something, and it was affected because of that.

We can close this ticket for now as the analysis services team is investigating on it further 🙂

Cheers,
Leo