Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop randomly gets "stuck" in a certain screen size when used with multiple monitors

I use multiple monitors and have one widescreen and two standard monitors. Within the last few months, Power BI Desktop suddenly started getting "locked" in a maximized state that only matches the size of the monitor on which it was opened. In the screenshot below, this is what occasionally happens when Power BI opens on the smaller screen and is then moved to the larger. The only fix is to close out and re-launch, and that only works if I'm able to force Power BI to launch on the larger screen. Used Power BI for years now and haven't seen this before.Issue.png

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

You may try Display settings > select large monitor and check "Make this my main display".

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft, I appreciate the response. I haven't tried that yet, but I actually need to use one of the smaller screens as my main display for presentation scenarios as that ensures apps default to launching on the smaller screen and do not interfere with presentation content.

As an addendum, I also teach Power BI classes that use virtual machines, and I'm now seeing this same behavior with recent versions of Power BI. Obviously, VMs aren't using multiple screens, but Power BI gets locked so that it appears maximized but isn't and will not resize.

pbiuser2_1-1626720348920.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-chuncz-msft, just writing to let you know I just tried the suggestion you made previously regarding making the large monitor the main display on my primary computer, and the result is still the same, only this time it shows the "Maximize" symbol in Power BI rather than the "Restore Down" symbol. Regardless of which icon it shows, it randomly won't resize on the large screen monitor but remains "trapped" in sizing for a small screen.

pbiuser2_0-1626785469362.png

TSzreder
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

I am having the exact same problem...

What helps is changing the Scale and layout in display settings of the larger screen to match the smaller screen (I use 150% zoom on the smaller one and 100% on the larger one) - when I switch the larger one to 150% for a moment and then switch it back Power BI scales correctly (sometimes a couple of tries is needed...)

But this is still pretty annoying...

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@Anonymous 

A similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned.

CRI 250559951

Anonymous
Not applicable

ive got the same problem and there is a quick, still annoying, fix. 
Move it to the other monitor and there try to expand it a little bit by dragginf from one of the edges. Then move it to the primary monitor and maximize it.

Not very elegant but does its jobs. 

powerbiuser56

Any update on this?