Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop not loading past main splash screen

Power BI Desktop worked fine through Monday (7/19), but now it won't work anymore because starting yesterday, the application won't load. The application will show the main splash screen--the yellow bar chart logo--and the Untitled report would begin loading in the background (I've tried opening an existing PBIX file, too) but the application wouldn't load. Meanwhile, I watched in Task Manager as my RAM usage shot up to 99% and stayed near there, causing the rest of my system to suffer from low memory. I've tried reinstalling, repairing, and switching to the x64 desktop version (I'm using the Power BI Desktop application from the Microsoft Store). 

Is anyone else having this issue?

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please choose the corresponding bit version of Power BI Desktop and note the minimum requirement for it:

• Windows 8.1 / Windows Server 2012 R2, or later
  • .NET 4.6.2 or later
  • Internet Explorer 11 or later
  • Memory (RAM): At least 2 GB available, 4 GB or more recommended.
  • Display: At least 1440x900 or 1600x900 (16:9) required. Lower resolutions such as 1024x768 or 1280x800 aren't supported, as certain controls (such as closing the startup screen) display beyond those resolutions.
  • Windows display settings: If you set your display settings to change the size of text, apps, and other items to more than 100%, you may not be able to see certain dialogs that you must interact with to continue using Power BI Desktop. If you encounter this issue, check your display settings in Windows by going to Settings > System > Display, and use the slider to return display settings to 100%.
  • CPU: 1 gigahertz (GHz) 64-bit (x64) processor or better recommended.

You can disable background data load when opening Power BI Desktop and clear the cache or change the memory size to check whether it is relieved.

cache.png

In addition ,we recommend you to download Power BI Desktop from the official web page instead of Microsoft Store cause that the store version would be a beta version not a public version which could cause some issues sometimes.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Laetog

I have the same issue since Tuesday 20/07.

I have uninstalled and downloaded Power BI Desktop from the official webpage as suggested.

I have all the minimum requirements for the corresponding version.

I am unable to disable background data load when opening Power BI Desktop, as Power BI Desktop does not start.

We are several in our organization to have the same issue... What do you suggest?

DN_Coord
Regular Visitor

We also have users with the same issue in our organisation, since Tuesday 20/07. We meet all the minimum requirements. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-yingjl I'd downloaded and installed from the Microsoft Store and the official web page and I'm still having the issue. Like @Laetog, I can't disable background data loading because Power BI doesn't even get that far in the startup.

My computer meets the requirements as well.

DN_Coord
Regular Visitor

@Anonymous @v-yingjl @Laetog When I turn off the internet connection I can start Power BI Desktop. However, once the connection is turned on again, Power BI Desktop freezes and eventually crashes wiith an error like system out of memory. 
I also tried the version from June and there is the same issue.

DN_Coord
Regular Visitor

Changing (removing) a recent proxy setting has resolved the starting issue.

Evren_Kayali

I have the same problem fixed by updating the .NET to the latest (4.8) version. I don't know the relation but maybe helps.

PaulAnderson
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue. It ran up initially when I installed it.  I am logged onto the server as an administrator as well as running the application as an administrator.

I am looking for answers.  Currently looking over on:

Resolve issues when starting Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI known issues and troubleshooting - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Environment

Running on Windows Server 2019 VM on Azure platform.  On the server we have SQL Server 2019 Developer edition, SSRS, and SharePoint 2019.  All software is up-to-date as of 11:34 on 6th April.  Micorosoft Products are set to update with Windows Update.

I am connecting over Remote Desktop.

Product Version

Product Version: 2.103.991.0 (22.03)

This was downloaded from Power BI Desktop—Interactive Reports | Microsoft Power BI

Suggested Fixes

I installed .NET Framework 4.8 but didn't fix this issue.

Further Diagnosis

Looking at SysInternals ProcMon - it just seems to be stuck in a loop in what is happening:

PaulAnderson_0-1649240965603.png

Modified Files When Run

The following files are modified locally when running.

<log>
settings.dat                                                   C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Crashpad\                                                              
metadata                                                       C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Crashpad\                                                              
watson_metadata                                                C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Crashpad\                                                              
7f867e1c-2736-4691-8fb0-4516874ebfd5.dmp                       C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Crashpad\reports\                                                      
FlightRecorderCurrent.trc                                      C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
master.vmp                                                     C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
msmdsrv.log                                                    C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
msmdsrv.port.txt                                               C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
ExcelMDX.0.asm.xml                                             C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
VBAMDX.0.asm.xml                                               C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
VBAMDXINTERNAL.0.asm.xml                                       C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
EXCELXLINTERNAL.0.asm.xml                                      C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
System.0.asm.xml                                               C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
Administrators.0.role.xml                                      C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
ActAsUsers.0.role.xml                                          C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
CryptKey.bin                                                   C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
000003.log                                                     C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Default\shared_proto_db\metadata\                                      
LOG                                                            C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Default\shared_proto_db\                                               
LOG                                                            C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Default\shared_proto_db\metadata\                                      
LOG                                                            C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Default\                                                               
LOG                                                            C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Default\Extension State\                                               
Local State                                                    C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\                                                                       
LOG                                                            C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\Default\Site Characteristics Database\                                 
lockfile                                                       C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\                                                                       
Last Version                                                   C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\WebView2Elevated\EBWebView\                                                                       
msmdsrv.ini                                                    C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
msmdsrv.bak                                                    C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\Data\   
pbiworkspace.lock                                              C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\AnalysisServicesWorkspaces\AnalysisServicesWorkspace_7eb248c1-d957-433b-b190-515de47f7642\        
PBIDesktop.7824.2022-04-06T10-46-04-324555.log                 C:\Users\MYUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\Traces\Performance\                                                                               
</log>

Update 7th April 2022

I RDP'd to my server using a different account.  When I started Power BI Desktop - there was no issues.  It ran up fine.

ECW
Employee
Employee

Having the same issue. Have tried/checked all of the above. Any help would be appriciated.

1793aib
Helper I

I too am having the same issue.

Why have no one from Microsoft reached out to get this resolved?