Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop login fails when using DisableUpdateNotification registry key and proxy

We use a non-transparent proxy server (proxy settings are setup in the Internet Options). I can login to the PowerBI Desktop application just fine by default. But if I set the registry key to disable update notifications (see below) the login suddenly fails with the message:

Unable to sign in

Your network requires proxy authentication. Please contact network admin to check your authentication and firewall settings.

In the trace I can see that the proxy is asking for authentication (I removed lots of the log for simplicity reasons).

DataMashup.Trace Information: {"Start":"2019-02-14T20:02:32.0076063Z","CloudConfigurationManager.SetCloud; discovery URI: https://api.powerbi.com/powerbi/globalservice/v201804/environments/discover?user=someuser%40somedoma..."
DataMashup.Trace Error: {"Start":"2019-02-14T20:02:32.0373302Z","HttpService: WebExceptionStatus = ProtocolError, WebException = {\"ClassName\":\"System.Net.WebException\",\"Message\":\"The remote server returned an error: (407) Proxy Authentication Required.\"

This is the registry key that is set:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\

Name: DisableUpdateNotification

Type: REG_DWORD

If the value is 0 it works fine, it correctly authenticates to the proxy and logs me in. If the value is 1 it suddenly tries to reach the URL directly without using the proxy which ends up with the proxy throwing the error above.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Have you contacted your Network admin for help? 

If you don't use non-transparent proxy server, are you able to sign in in Power BI desktop after you disable update notifications? 

I didn't find the DisableUpdateNotification key on my side, please remove non-transparent proxy server then check if this key disappears from the registry. 

q4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu