Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop - issue with "copy" and "copy table" from a data model

Hi,

with the last version of Power BI Desktop (October 2017) I found out that there is a problem with the copy and "copy table" options from a data model. If I try to copy a column or an entire table the following error shows up:Error message when copy.Error message when copy.

The copy function doesn't work (I have tried to paste into Excel, but no data are pasted). To reproduce the issue simply go to the data tab and right click on the content of a table, select "copy" or "copy table", then left click on the same table content.

The full error message is the following (sorry: some sentences are in Italian, but the technical messages are not😞

************** Testo dell'eccezione / Exception's text **************
System.Threading.ThreadStateException: Impossibile creare un'istanza del controllo ActiveX '8856f961-340a-11d0-a96b-00c04fd705a2' perché il thread corrente non è un apartment a thread singolo.
in System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowserBase..ctor(String clsidString)
in System.Windows.Forms.WebBrowser..ctor()
in Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.HostedWebBrowser..ctor(Uri baseUri, String browserSettingsPath, Boolean allowPopupWindows)
in Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.HtmlForm..ctor(PackagePath packagePath, Nullable`1 sessionId, WindowsHost windowsHost)
in Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.FloatingDialog..ctor(PackagePath packagePath, Nullable`1 sessionId, WindowsHost windowsHost)
in Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.SimpleDialog.ErrorDialog..ctor(IWin32Window owner, WindowsHost windowsHost, LocalizedString title, FeedbackActionInfo info, String detailsUrl, Boolean useGDICapture)
in Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.Ux.FloatingDialog.SimpleDialog.UnexpectedErrorDialog..ctor(IWin32Window owner, WindowsHost windowsHost, FeedbackActionInfo info, Boolean useGDICapture)
in Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWin32Window activeWindow, WindowsHost windowsHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e)
in Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass1.<HandleException>b__0()
in Microsoft.Mashup.Client.ClientShared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
in Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__3.MoveNext()
--- Fine traccia dello stack da posizione precedente dove è stata generata l'eccezione ---
in System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
in System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
in Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAsyncExceptions>d__0.MoveNext()
--- Fine traccia dello stack da posizione precedente dove è stata generata l'eccezione ---
in System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()

Comments
SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

I am getting the exact same error:

Error when selecting 'Copy' or 'Copy Table'Error when selecting 'Copy' or 'Copy Table'

Link to full error message (why cant we attach text files!):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-TK-K5EDIWNQ2MzdjFrNi05Qlk

I use this function daily to take manual snapshots of my data, so this is a critical function for me! It was working fine up till latest October 2017 Release.

For anyone like me that will need to revert back to previous version:
https://zenatti.net/2017/07/04/power-bi-previous-versions/

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Vosaxalo @SheldonEdwards

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 49174185
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Vosaxalo @SheldonEdwards

This issue shall be fixed in Nov 2017 version of Power BI Desktop.
There is a workaround – Select a table or column in the Field list and press Copy button in the Ribbon.

Best Regards,
Herbert
SheldonEdwards
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

Thanks, the workaround worked well Smiley Happy

Roll back avoided!

Vosaxalo
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

Thank you also from my part for the update on the fix in November and the workaround.

Best Regards