Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop is closed but still using a lot of resources in background

I closed Power BI Desktoip and I still it running and using a lot of resources on my computer.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

FireFighter1017_0-1635274218697.png

@FireFighter1017 

Power BI Desktop has relatively high requiremetns on memory to perform its operaitons or do calculations. That's why we pose minimum requirements on installing Desktop Get Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. When you close Desktop, there maybe still some backend-end processing operations like saving report data so it's process will not be killed right away. Normally, you don't need to worry about it. If you really hope its process can be terminated immediately, you can end task in your tast manager.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @FireFighter1017 

Before closing Desktop, have you ever performed some operations like refresh or any other kinds of operations?

Best Regards,

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

I applied changes made in Power Query and the changes were applied, then I published it to Power BI service and by doing so, I saved it as well.

Then I closed the file when I could see that nothing else was going on.

I closed the file mainly because it was eating up all my RAM.  And I have noticed recently that this seems to be related to the fact that I made several modifications in Power Query and the more I wait to apply changes, the more it will eat up resources.

It has becoming worse since last update.  Yesterday one of my colleagues was unable to do anything on his computer because Power BI desktop was using all the resources available.  I had not made any changes in Power Query and this model had not been a problem in the past.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

@FireFighter1017 

Power BI Desktop has relatively high requiremetns on memory to perform its operaitons or do calculations. That's why we pose minimum requirements on installing Desktop Get Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. When you close Desktop, there maybe still some backend-end processing operations like saving report data so it's process will not be killed right away. Normally, you don't need to worry about it. If you really hope its process can be terminated immediately, you can end task in your tast manager.

Best Regards,

FireFighter1017
Advocate II

The link you provided specifies at least 2Mb available but 4Mb is recommended.

This is a joke right?

I don't know anyone that would be able to run a decent model with only 2Mb.

That only works with your training dataset that are ridiculously aggregated and small.

And I still don't understand why a model transforming 10K-20K lines of data can endup with using all of my 32Gb of memory.

As for the process running in background, this wouldn't pose a problem if they weren't using 17-20 Gb of RAM.

Did you read carefully my orginal post?  I have put there a nice screenshot to illustrate that it was using that much of my resources.

Is there a way to take this to higher instances? 

I've been posting several posts about how resource intensive is Power BI Desktop and no one seem to care or the easy answer is that it's our models that are the problem.

We run these sort of transformations on any other system and it will not cripple our laptops like PowerBI desktop does.

FYI, all of my team is now complaining about this.