Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Power BI Desktop freezes while working on it

I have been working daily with power BI recently and it freezes at least 4 times a day. For freezing I mean that while dragging or changing some measures, it starts to load (the circular dots) but I can not do anything on it. If I try to close it from the task bar, then I can not press on "save" or "do not save". In other words I have to close it from the task manager and restart everything.

This issue is quite frustrating as I might lose a lot of time trying to recover the work done and re-do it.

I have the latest update of PowerBI Desktop. However, my laptop is not the most powerful as the processors is an "intel core i5". Could it be an hardware issue?

Thanks

Hi,

Have you turned on the “Power BI Desktop infrastructure update preview feature” in the desktop setting?

If so, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned.

Problem description: When trying to launch Power Bi Desktop, it throws a frown error when the Power BI Desktop infrastructure update preview feature is enabled but if we disable this feature PBI Desktop launches as expected.

ICM: 279388210

As a temporary workaround, I suggest you to go to the setting to turn off the option “Enable infrastructure update preview feature” to make this issue disappear:

vrobertqmsft_0-1642990417334.png

I will update here once I get any information.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
mark_endicott
Helper II

@sgallo - Lots of users reporting this at the moment, see this thread 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Power-BI-Desktop-freezes-10-times-a-day/idi-p/2258411

suggest you raise an MS support ticket to add weight to the cause. 

v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Hi,

Have you turned on the “Power BI Desktop infrastructure update preview feature” in the desktop setting?

If so, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned.

Problem description: When trying to launch Power Bi Desktop, it throws a frown error when the Power BI Desktop infrastructure update preview feature is enabled but if we disable this feature PBI Desktop launches as expected.

ICM: 279388210

As a temporary workaround, I suggest you to go to the setting to turn off the option “Enable infrastructure update preview feature” to make this issue disappear:

vrobertqmsft_0-1642990417334.png

I will update here once I get any information.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

mark_endicott
Helper II

@v-robertq-msft - Thanks, I have disabled that feature (I dont remember enabling it) to see if it improves matters. I'm getting the crash when a desktop file has been open but unused for a while, and upon returning to it, it usually happens when I then add a measure to a chart or change a filter. Will update if this does not solve the issue. 

mark_endicott
Helper II

@v-robertq-msft - Bit of feedback, that solution has not worked, my Desktop files are still freezing if used after a period of in-activity. It can be any action that causes this, such as filtering a chart, adding a measure to a visualisation. 

I dont have a ticket raised with support, as it would be difficult to display to the team on a call. Is there any progress to report on your side?

sgallo
Advocate III

@v-robertq-msft thanks for the feedback but it did not change anything. I am still facing the freezing issue at least a few times a day. It used to be just when I left Power BI open and untouched but now it happens also while I am actively working on it.

For the moment I have set an alarm every 15 mins to save the document in order to be sure to not lose any work done