Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop freezes when Creating Relationship in DirectQuery Mode

Hi!

I am trying to create a relationship between 2 tables where both columns have type Whole Number; but as soon as I click on "Ok" button Power BI freezes and I have to kill the process to exit.

Any ideas what the problem might be?

I am using the latest version at the moment: 2.70.5494.562 64-bit (juni 2019)

Thanks!

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Please update the Power BI desktop to the latest version 2.70.5494.761 then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

I just did that earlier today as soon as I got the pop up that there is a new version available. I still have the same problem.

Best,

Solmaz

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

Instead of creating a relationship via Manage Relationships, please select the common column in the one table then hold on, drag to another table to create the relationship. 

Please run the 64 bit Power Bi desktop if possible. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun!

Thanks. I am running 64-bits Desktop but I had to downgrade to the version released in May (2.69.5467.1801 64-bit (maj 2019)) as we are running reports on Power BI Report Server and if I do not do that I won't be able to upload reports to report server. The drag and drop didn't have any effect when I did that in this version.

Best,

Solmaz

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

As you are creating the report for Power BI report server, you need to use the Power BI desktop optimized version for report server downloaded here

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Qiuyun,

That is exactly what we are using. As I had problem in this version for creating relations, I tested to create the relations using the more recent versions of PowerBI Desktop to see if it is possible. 

The result: It was not possible to create relationships either in version 2.70.5494.562 64-bit (june 2019), 2.70.5494.761 (june 2019), or 2.69.5467.1801 64-bit (may 2019). Drag and drop didn't work either.

Best,

Solmaz

Anonymous
Not applicable

I managed to solve this problem. I have 2 fields in my tables that contain a long string of data. After removing them from tables, it became possible to create relations between key fields. 

However, I consider this behavior a bug, as the text fields which I had to remove are not keys and therefore not involved in relations between tables; and that the program freezes and needs to be shut down from task manager.

//Solmaz

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous, 

As you are using DirectQuery mode in the report, I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

sp8
Helper II
Helper II

I have the same issue. I'm using the June 2019 version and when I try creating relationships via manage OR via drag-and-drop it freezes and I have to shut down Power BI via task manager.

I'm using direct query to a SAP Hana data source with too many rows to be reasonable in Import mode.

I do have one field that is not a key that can have a lot of text in it, but I need that field and cant just delete it.

Any ideas?