Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop freezes 10 times a day

Hi all,

I'll try to explain the issue I'm having. 

Power BI runs fine, until a random moment. Perhapse I change something in a visual or a measure, but then all my visuals start to refresh and in 90% of the time they don't recover at all and Power BI simply freezes. Sometimes I even have to do a hard reboot. The changes I'm making are very small.

I sometimes I have the idea it has something to do with IntelliSense and/or Microsoft Edge Webview2. Yesterday I was typing a DAX syntax and by pressing tab, it took the suggested function. Every single time I did this, Power BI desktop frooze. Also, sometimes it generates multiple Webview2 processen (screenshot). 

It's pretty much impossible to work at the moment. Using the most recent PBI December 2021 desktop update.

Is there a fix for this?

Webview.PNG

Hi All,

According to my research, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned. ICM: 279388210

In the latest update of this ICM, the engineers have found the issue is related to the WebView2 browser crashing and are working to find the root cause of this issue.

I will update here once I get any information.

But if you want to get a solution for this kind of desktop problem based on your specific situation as soon as possible, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get the direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
fhendric
Regular Visitor

I've got a dump file, 2Gb

Please confirm which Microsoft email address to send this file
Power BI desktop is becoming a nightmare to use more than 5 minutes

fhendric_0-1645469878331.png

PVO3
Impactful Individual

@fhendric 

You're talking about a crash instead of a freeze.

Nonetheless I'm facing similar issues since 2.102.683.0 64-bit (februari 2022)

Webview2.PNG

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

For the people experiencing the freezing issue (not the crash), I was sent a development build by the MS team and that build didnt freeze at all for the entire day. So they found where the issue is and how to fix it. Now we wait for an official release with the fix implemented...

boosalis
Frequent Visitor

Very encouraging. Thank you.

palombie
Frequent Visitor

It's  a nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!

We could have hoped that the new February release would solve some of the problems of PowerBI Desktop. Unfortunately, the opposite is true! PowerBi desktop crashes permanently because of the WebView2 module (out of memory). The situation is disastrous: it is impossible to work more than 5 minutes on a report before it crashes.

rahulshevde
Employee

There are 2 issues here getting mixed.  
1 - Desktop seems to be freezing/hanging due to credential refresh hang (Happening for DQ or live connect or composite models). This is not related to WebView2. We have a potential fix for this and will try to roll it out soon. 

2 - Some people are running into WebView2 issues (crashes or errors) which are different. Can you reach out to me for these cases with the details? We need your help to understand and fix these. Here are the details we need: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/desktop-error-launching-desktop#resolve-issue...

@palombie You mentioned you are running into Out of memory issues with WebView2. Can you share the pbix where you are running into it? Also can you share your system details when this happens? it would help if you can provide a repro. Please reach out to me at rahulsh@microsoft.com 

Shelley
Continued Contributor

So, this was better for me after I turned off that one preview feature in the December version, but now that I'm into the February update, it's happening again. I think I just suffered my third freeze of the day.

cbuchet
Regular Visitor

All,

I noticed that if you create a local model from the Power BI Dataset (ie. composite model), the freezes do not occur anymore. That is the workaround we use to having those freezes ending until MSFT delivers the fix. Hope that can help a few of you.

Cheers,

Cedric

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Unfortunately, the latest powerBI update (2.102.845.0 ) does not contain the fix for this issue yet. Just a heads up for people thinking this issue is solved now.

msagpbi

Hi everyone,

Happy to hear that I'm not alone on this (sorry to say so). I am experiencing freezings every day several times a day. All the work has to be done twice. It's a NIGHTMARE! 
I mostly work with big live models or local models connected to these live models.

Please MS Team we need a solution asap!