Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop freezes 10 times a day

Hi all,

I'll try to explain the issue I'm having. 

Power BI runs fine, until a random moment. Perhapse I change something in a visual or a measure, but then all my visuals start to refresh and in 90% of the time they don't recover at all and Power BI simply freezes. Sometimes I even have to do a hard reboot. The changes I'm making are very small.

I sometimes I have the idea it has something to do with IntelliSense and/or Microsoft Edge Webview2. Yesterday I was typing a DAX syntax and by pressing tab, it took the suggested function. Every single time I did this, Power BI desktop frooze. Also, sometimes it generates multiple Webview2 processen (screenshot). 

It's pretty much impossible to work at the moment. Using the most recent PBI December 2021 desktop update.

Is there a fix for this?

Webview.PNG

Hi All,

According to my research, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned. ICM: 279388210

In the latest update of this ICM, the engineers have found the issue is related to the WebView2 browser crashing and are working to find the root cause of this issue.

I will update here once I get any information.

But if you want to get a solution for this kind of desktop problem based on your specific situation as soon as possible, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get the direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
djs1984
Frequent Visitor

@japper91 You're absolutely right. Apologies, getting my threads mixed up. 

PVO3
Impactful Individual

Well after some testing, the problem I'm facing seems to be 50% less then before the March updates.

So, unfortunatly it still crashes +-5 times a day. I'm still not sure what is causing this, but appears to have to do with the live connection. When working from the PBIX dataset and the report simultaneously (especially with frequent dataset publishes), the problem occurs. 

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

@PVO3 I think you're on to something. I dont often publish my master file, but the chance of a freeze with twirl after publishing seems much higher than when I don't. So I think I agree that there is still something wrong here with the authentication.

SPaine86
Helper I

Since updating to March 2022, I am now having this issue. It's not always Power BI, sometimes it is when I am working in Power Query. Occasionally the whole Power BI window starts moving up and down by a few pixels, over and over, and then I get a browser windows open which says "Oops out of memory" or something similar (task manager shows that RAM is at about 30% though, so plenty of memory left for Power BI!). Power BI is unusable on the machine that has updated to March 2022 now, unfortunately.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

Hey @SPaine86 I think your problem is very different than the one described here and warrants a topic of it's own. 

djs1984
Frequent Visitor

Yeah, I'm currently connected to a Power BI Dataset model and just refreshed a visual on the report to pick up a new field and just spinning. Model refreshed fine, but refreshing the report has locked everything up again. Thought leaving it would help. Tried closing all windows from the Taskbar, but hasn't made a difference. Think I'm going to have to kill the process and recover the files.

So still happening March update for me.

On the plus side, I was able to just kill the report is was happening with without killing off all the others I have open.

synMo
Frequent Visitor

This is still an issue. My files crash everyday like every 30 minutes. 

marcodea
Helper II

With the latest update, I'm not experiencing any freeze. It seems to solve my issue.

DemoFour
Responsive Resident

I have not had this issue since I updated to the latest version (although I update everytime I get the prompt to do so) but today this has started happening again. 

Is this still happening for other people? 20220404 PBI Frozen Task Manager.png

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

@marcodea Can you try the following: 

1. Open the powerBI report file that is connected to the powerBI dataset online.
2. Re-upload a new version of the powerBI dataset file

3. Refresh the powerBI dataset online using the refresh icon and wait for it to finish

4. Refresh the report file

For me this causes a 100% chance of twirling freeze. Want to see if others have the same problem.