Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop freezes 10 times a day

Hi all,

I'll try to explain the issue I'm having. 

Power BI runs fine, until a random moment. Perhapse I change something in a visual or a measure, but then all my visuals start to refresh and in 90% of the time they don't recover at all and Power BI simply freezes. Sometimes I even have to do a hard reboot. The changes I'm making are very small.

I sometimes I have the idea it has something to do with IntelliSense and/or Microsoft Edge Webview2. Yesterday I was typing a DAX syntax and by pressing tab, it took the suggested function. Every single time I did this, Power BI desktop frooze. Also, sometimes it generates multiple Webview2 processen (screenshot). 

It's pretty much impossible to work at the moment. Using the most recent PBI December 2021 desktop update.

Is there a fix for this?

Webview.PNG

Hi All,

According to my research, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned. ICM: 279388210

In the latest update of this ICM, the engineers have found the issue is related to the WebView2 browser crashing and are working to find the root cause of this issue.

I will update here once I get any information.

But if you want to get a solution for this kind of desktop problem based on your specific situation as soon as possible, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get the direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

An MS developer said that the fix will be included in this month's update. So hold fast, help is coming.

boosalis
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info, J. 

I do wish that an official statement would be issued. It is not that I distrust the information, but my fears would be more assuaged if one of the Ties at MS would give us an official assurance. 

palombie
Frequent Visitor

New version since today. The nightmare continues and grows. The bookmarks hardly work anymore. The interface freezes even more often than before. Already restarted the application 3 times.
We are at the bottom.
How can we deliver such disasters in production ????????

labrosstr
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-robertq-msft 

Do we have any updates about this bug? ICM: 279388210

PBI freezes about 10 times a day and we need to go to Task Manager and end the Power BI Task .

If no, how can we go back to a previous version? I cannot find an older version of PBI. 

Thank you,

Lampros

MFelix
Super User
saj
Helper III
Helper III

I've just tweeted Jeroen ter Heerdt as the March update is available and he was unaware of the issue; or at least only made reference to issues.powerbi.com

Feel free to add a comment to the tweet
https://twitter.com/sj65449887/status/1504493451005603843

We've not had any follow up from Microsoft on this thread for a long time.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

He knows about this one already, see here:

https://twitter.com/jeroenterheerdt/status/1487083343464185856

And it is being worked on, and a fix has been made. I just don't know when the release of the fix is (havent tested this release yet). I don't know about any other crashes other than the authentication issue that freezes your visuals with a twirly thing and forces you to kill the powerbi process.

saj
Helper III
Helper III

@jaap_olsthoorn thanks - yeah I get that. The tweet was 6 weeks ago and it's just a vague "we're working on it" and no update.

I'm holding off introducing a number of individuals to Power BI Desktop while this issue exists. I know that any benefit of Power BI will be lost with the crashing.

boosalis
Frequent Visitor

Community,

I just downloaded and installed PBIx64, and I do believe that it opens much faster than before. I am on the same equipment with no changes (except for adding 5 PC fans) to my computer. I plan on trying to reconstruct the report that kept crashing before, and logging the issues, to see what's what. I am a cautiously pessimistic optimist, so that's that, too. 

PHE
Regular Visitor

This is really a big problem, frustrating to for the users and a problem for promoting PowerBI overall. In addition, I have the problem that PowerBI also impacts the windows rendering as a whole. I'm glad to see that there was finally some response on Twitter from MS - it seems that Twitter is the better channel to get some reaction than this forum - which is a bit disappointing.  I really hope this gets fixed in the latest version.