Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop freezes 10 times a day

Hi all,

I'll try to explain the issue I'm having. 

Power BI runs fine, until a random moment. Perhapse I change something in a visual or a measure, but then all my visuals start to refresh and in 90% of the time they don't recover at all and Power BI simply freezes. Sometimes I even have to do a hard reboot. The changes I'm making are very small.

I sometimes I have the idea it has something to do with IntelliSense and/or Microsoft Edge Webview2. Yesterday I was typing a DAX syntax and by pressing tab, it took the suggested function. Every single time I did this, Power BI desktop frooze. Also, sometimes it generates multiple Webview2 processen (screenshot). 

It's pretty much impossible to work at the moment. Using the most recent PBI December 2021 desktop update.

Is there a fix for this?

Webview.PNG

Hi All,

According to my research, a similar issue has been reported internally, so stay tuned. ICM: 279388210

In the latest update of this ICM, the engineers have found the issue is related to the WebView2 browser crashing and are working to find the root cause of this issue.

I will update here once I get any information.

But if you want to get a solution for this kind of desktop problem based on your specific situation as soon as possible, I suggest you to open a support ticket to get the direct help from the technical support team of Microsoft.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Comments
PVO3
Impactful Individual

Issue seems to be resolved in latest update 2.100.1182.0 64-bit (december 2021).

Because of unknown root cause, it's hard to test. But, it hasn't froozen since.

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

I'm running what seems to be a newer version, and it just hung again, so I dont think anything is fixed.

2.100.1401.0 64-bit (December 2021)

Shelley
Continued Contributor

Thansk, but this trick didn't work for me either.

Shelley
Continued Contributor

I'm also on what appears to be a newer version and it just locked up on me again. 

Version: 2.100.1401.0 64-bit (December 2021)

MFelix
Super User

HI @jaap_olsthoorn ,

On my side and a couple of colleagues have been working, but another colleague of mine also said it did not work. Maybe it's related with the connections, and all of that.

Hopefully they will make the correction out soon.

LeadAnalyst
Frequent Visitor

Same problem as all the others - has been constantly freezing for a few weeks, have to end task and recover files constantly. Puts me off using Power BI in the future - the constant updates always seems to break something!

RobertHind_TF
Regular Visitor

I've been using 2.100.1401.0 64-bit (December 2021) for a few weeks and experiencing the same problem. I did notice a reference to the Preview feature [Power BI Desktop infrastructure update] being a possible cause ... so I've turned that off. Lets see if that helps.

[20220127 update] .. since turning that feature off (about 3 hours ago) I haven't (so far) had a problem

[20220128 update] ... (following day) switching [Power BI Desktop infrastructure update] off HAS NOT fixed the problem. Power BI frozen several times today

jaap_olsthoorn
Advocate II

I have run with that feature off for a while now. It seems to prevent other windows from locking up, but the file that freezes, still freezes.

It seems totally random when it happens as well. Yesterday I only had 2 freezes, the day before I had 6. Luck of the draw it seems.

@MFelix I also got your solution to work one time, but never after, so you were onto something, it's just a bit rare that it helps me.

MFelix
Super User

@jaap_olsthoorn ,

In my case I have the exact different experience with my workaround, it only did not work a couple of times, maybe can be because of the models or the files I open, don't know.

Some of my colleagues using the same files and setup are abble to also return from the freeze using the workaround and other like you can't. So it's difficult to pinpoint the cause of the error.

Hopefully the next update will bring good news.

sgallo
Advocate III

Similar issue here as well. It starts to load some visuals but then it never does and it becomes untouchable. 

I have to close the process from the task manager and not the "usual" way risking to lose most of the work I ve done