Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop crashes when trying to publish without signing in first

There was a similar issue last year. It seems that has re-occured.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Trying-to-Publish-in-the-service-without-saving-the-file...

When I attempt to publish a report and have not signed  into the Desktop yet, a command prompt box appears then disappears and Power BI crashes. Also, it seems that   after the January 2018 update, Power BI requires to re-signin for each report created prior to installing the  update.  Normally after I have  already signed in, Power BI will not request for  another  signin the next time  I open the same report. 

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same issue.

It started since the january 2018 update.

Thanks for solving this!

Kward
Frequent Visitor

I'm also experiencing this issue.  I try to publish, and then the SQLdumper.exe appears and PBI crashes. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

The fix will be released on desktop March release. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

uk_tj
Advocate IV

Thanks for the update v-qiuyu-msft

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue but I am signed into the Desktop.  I click on publish and it signs me out and kicks me out of Power BI Desktop.  I have gotten in the habit of saving often now since I have lost some work at one point.  Please fix.  Other users at my company are experiencing the same issue.

dcresp
Advocate IV

I am using the Feb version and have also been getting this.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

The desktop March version is released ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331 ) , please test again if issue persists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

Is the issue gone now? There is a May desktop version, you can update to this version then test it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Caitlin_Knox
Advocate III

I'm experiencing this same issue with the sqldumper.exe flashing as pbi desktop crashes every time I modify the m code in the advanced editor. 

HornSpiel

I am having a similar issue. PBI crashes when I try to sign in or publish: Version: 2.70.5494.761 64-bit (June 2019)