Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop crashes when trying to publish without signing in first

There was a similar issue last year. It seems that has re-occured.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Trying-to-Publish-in-the-service-without-saving-the-file...

When I attempt to publish a report and have not signed  into the Desktop yet, a command prompt box appears then disappears and Power BI crashes. Also, it seems that   after the January 2018 update, Power BI requires to re-signin for each report created prior to installing the  update.  Normally after I have  already signed in, Power BI will not request for  another  signin the next time  I open the same report. 

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same issue.

It started since the january 2018 update.

Thanks for solving this!

Kward
Frequent Visitor

I'm also experiencing this issue.  I try to publish, and then the SQLdumper.exe appears and PBI crashes. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

The fix will be released on desktop March release. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

uk_tj
Advocate IV

Thanks for the update v-qiuyu-msft

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am having a similar issue but I am signed into the Desktop.  I click on publish and it signs me out and kicks me out of Power BI Desktop.  I have gotten in the habit of saving often now since I have lost some work at one point.  Please fix.  Other users at my company are experiencing the same issue.

dcresp
Advocate IV

I am using the Feb version and have also been getting this.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

The desktop March version is released ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331 ) , please test again if issue persists. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

Is the issue gone now? There is a May desktop version, you can update to this version then test it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Caitlin_Knox
Advocate III

I'm experiencing this same issue with the sqldumper.exe flashing as pbi desktop crashes every time I modify the m code in the advanced editor. 

HornSpiel

I am having a similar issue. PBI crashes when I try to sign in or publish: Version: 2.70.5494.761 64-bit (June 2019)