Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop crashes when trying to publish without signing in first

There was a similar issue last year. It seems that has re-occured.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Trying-to-Publish-in-the-service-without-saving-the-file...

When I attempt to publish a report and have not signed  into the Desktop yet, a command prompt box appears then disappears and Power BI crashes. Also, it seems that   after the January 2018 update, Power BI requires to re-signin for each report created prior to installing the  update.  Normally after I have  already signed in, Power BI will not request for  another  signin the next time  I open the same report. 

Comments
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

aabbey
Frequent Visitor

Thank you Qiuyun Yu. 

Still having crashes after switching back to the old sign on experience, but they are less frequent. 

I will update with any new info that I can capture. 

RJacob
Frequent Visitor

Reporting the same issue.

The fustrating part is that Desktop randomly signs you out and you do not notice it till you try to publish and the App crashes.

Thanks

RJ

aslee
Helper I

I am also experiencing this issue, crashing when attempting to publish and a black diaglog box appears briefly. Definitely since the January update was installed. I am usually already signed in, so don't think it is related to that, but I am always asked to sign back in when I re-open PowerBI after it crashes. 

uk_tj
Advocate IV

Same issue here...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

PG team already filed a bug to investigate this issue. The current workaround for this is to close desktop and sign in again.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

Would you please share desktop trace log around the time issue occurs? It will benefit PG team to identify the issue quickly. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

PG team can reproduce the issue now. Desktop trace log isn't required. Will update here again if I get any new information. Thanks. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

k3rz0rg
Advocate III

Never had this issue until late january 2018... Sometimes it works, most of the times it crashes.

While working with so much stuffs in the report, remembering re-sign in thing is pain in the ass. On top of that, it does not show that you are logged out until the sqldmper.exe pops up. Ugh... 

mwaters4
Helper I

I am experiencing the same issue.

I am on February 2018 release.  May have happend when on January 2018 release, but definitely more in February 2018 release.

hope you fix soon.. .it is annoying.