Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop crashes when trying to publish without signing in first

There was a similar issue last year. It seems that has re-occured.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-Trying-to-Publish-in-the-service-without-saving-the-file...

When I attempt to publish a report and have not signed  into the Desktop yet, a command prompt box appears then disappears and Power BI crashes. Also, it seems that   after the January 2018 update, Power BI requires to re-signin for each report created prior to installing the  update.  Normally after I have  already signed in, Power BI will not request for  another  signin the next time  I open the same report. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all,

Before I report this issue internally, I would like to collect below information which will be benefit finding the cause: 

1. Detail steps to reproduce the issue. It would be better if you could record a video to show the issue. 

2. Please run Fiddler during the time reproduce the issue. Share .saz file with us. 

Fiddler.PNG

3. Please share desktop trace log with us. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - I'm also experiencing this crashing issue since the January update.  I'm regularly signed out when I start using PowerBI.  Then, I click Publish and it crashes with the SQLDUMPER window showing.

MattSarb

I am having the same issue, as is a coworker. I am unable to predict when it would happen. Luckily, it seems to crash on the "Publish" part of "Publish and save", so the document is saved first.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having the same issue for the PowerBi Desktop app that has been downloaded from the windows store. Every 3 or 4 times i go to publish a report to the web the "SQL Dumper" window (even though i am signed in at the time) appears and then the desktop designer crashes. Then when i reopen it I am prompted to sign back in and then i can publish up to the web.
aabbey
Frequent Visitor

Qiuyun Yu , 

I do not have Fiddler (and wouldn't know how to use it anyway) and do not have permission to access Trace Logs, sorry. I am a Business Intelligence Developer/Analyst, not a system programmer!

I did manage to grab a screen shot (attached) though.

Yesterday, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the latest update. 

The problem persists. 

After unintsall/reinstall, I refreshed one of my PBIX files and republished without issue. 

Then I walked away for about 30 minutes or so. 

When I came back, I was still signed in. 

I saved again. - It saved, then the screen froze for a sec and then it logged me out. 

This time, I went ahead and clicked Publish again.

And got the prompt to sign in. 

I got about half my user name typed in when SQL Dumper popped up and closed Power BI. 

When I rebooted my machine after the crash, there was a memory error (but I wasn't fast enough to catch it). 

I will try to capture the memory error as well. Not sure it is related or not. PowerBI Crash.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue.

aabbey
Frequent Visitor

Another update:

After reading a post on another Power BI forum, I tried switching back to the old sign in experience. 

When I did, I was prompted to sign in using the old way. And...I have not had another crash. 

I will continue to test. 

Audrey

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still crashes with old sign-in experience...
catiewilliams17
Advocate I

Having the same issue, does not happen everytime - as soon as hit publish you know it will happen if you are prompted to sign in, then you get the sqldumper black box and PowerBI desktop closes.  When you reopen the program, you are able to succesfully publish with no issues.  This only happened after the January hot fix was released.  I am happy to provide screenshots and can also do a conference call to try to recreate the issue if someone wants to be monitoring my machine while doing it.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 58661945. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu